Thread: Nice place to visit, but...

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Nice place to visit, but...

Chicago is a nice place to visit, but I could never see me living there. I did however really enjoy my time there over the weekend for my youngest daughters wedding. However if there is water and fish I will find it. This is Lake Michigan behind me. No matter where you put me the country side of me will always show through. Representing the plaid in Chicago, and was about the only one in the city doing so. Black hoodies seem to be the most prevalent attire in that city.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Glad you all had fun, will your daughter live in Chi-town? I've been there a lot for a conference and use to hit a few night parties over on the Navy Pier.

No they actually live in the suburbs of Chicago.

Been there for business a few times, but never really had time to get around much. I do have a brother who attended school there and enjoyed it so much, he stayed for 15 years or so. Like any other large city, there are good and bad areas. Maybe I wouldn’t fit in, I don’t do hoodies.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    The question is; Did you go see the lions at the Railroad Museum?

Bwana, nope

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    #2 son and his wife lived and worked downtown for 8 years before moving back home. It's a town for young people, they loved it, but when granddaughter #1 came along, they knew it was not a place to raise kids. We would visit them about 3 times a year, go to the Loop for dinner then a play downtown.
    One night we were awaken by gun shots close by their apartment, next morning I asked about them, he said some drunks were out shooting at rats, no big deal.
    In HS we were a 3 hours drive from there, we were known to leave about 5 and return about 3AM, lots of fun spots for us back in the early 60's.
    In HS our Science Class took a field trip to see the Science & Industry Museum , we were done with the visit about 12:30 and our teach said go see Chicago, have lunch and be back to the bus by 4. You can't do that today with a bus load of teenagers,
    Sky, that lake behind you is great for fishing, browns, lakers, about 3 different kinds of salmon, perch, small mouth, walleye are just a few,most require a boat though.
    Congratulations to your daughter and their future.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

JB, I am very aware of the fishing opportunities in that lake and I am currently in the process of trying to book a trip out of Milwaukee for trophy brown trout. If I lived close to there those giant browns would never get a break!

About all I like about Chicago is the food. I’d weigh 400 lbs if I lived there.

Its way to big and the folk are too brash there for my taste. And the Cubs are there too and that makes the place ugly.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I have to agree with you on the food BBP. I'm ruined for regular pizza after having authentic deep dish from one of the more popular restaurants in Chicago. I can't even get excited about a flat crispy crust pizza now.