Thread: Ya' ever had one?

Ya' ever had one?

An MRI that is? I had my first yesterday and it was a weird experience. They were checking to make sure I had a brain (I still think Lynn may have called and initiated it)! I remember my step-dad went in for one and once they cranked the thing up, he went into full panic mode, made them pull him out'ta the thing and he never went back. Frankly, I don't even know what his was for. The procedure varies vastly depending on what they're looking for and the type of MRI, but mine was pretty extensive I believe. If you are claustrophobic, it's not for you! They have some now that are "open" MRI's (you're not stuffed into a tube), but I don't know if they can be used for ALL circumstances.

Once I got prepped, they laid me out on the slide, inserted an IV, found a "mold" that fit my big ol' punkin' haid, smurshed my head down into the thing and stuffed a bit of padding between my noggin and the molded "retainer". The whole purpose was that my head had to remain absolutely stationary. I thought they'd already managed to insure that, but then they added the OTHER half of the contraption! It wrapped across my face and fastened onto the bottom portion that the back half of my nogging was stuffed into! Kind'a like stuffing your whole head into one of those take-out clamshell containers from Olive Garden! Trust me, you were NOT going to move your head! The first thing that came to MY mind was, I felt like Hannibal Lecter when they strapped on his mask! Now, if you're claustrophobic, that in itself would have you clawing your way for the ceiling, even before you've been stuffed into the tube!

Ok, maybe my description is a bit over the top as the whole thing didn't affect me in the least, but I could see where it would throw some into 100% panic mode. TBH, I found the whole thing interesting, although I had no clue how long the procedure would take until the staff briefed me. Once they rolled me into the tube, I'd be locked in there for about 20 minutes, then they'd roll me out, insert the contrast fluid through the IV stuck into the back of my hand, then it's back into the ol' tube for another 15 minutes or so. Oh, I forgot about the panic button. They handed me a bulb to squeeze in case I went off the deep end and got panicky. They told me to keep it in my hand through the complete procedure, and if I felt I was about to lose it, just squeeze the bulb and they'd immediately remove me from my electronic coffin.

BUT ... that ain't nuttin, while in there, all I could think about was the "quack medicine" and electronic contraptions being marketed in the late 1800's - early 1900's. This thing was like being on a ride at Disney World. They'd already given me earplugs as they explained the sounds were pretty loud and made some people really nervous. Then it started, some of the weirdest sounds I'd ever heard ... pings, buzzes, blips, beeps, thumps ... you name it ... REALLY strange sounds, but kind'a fascinating in it's own weird way. It kept me busy just wondering what was making the sounds and what were their purposes. Oh, but that's not all, there are also the bumps, shaking, jolts, vibrations, etc. WTF was THAT all about? At times, I felt like I was on some sort of kiddie ride at an amusement park.

Anyway, I was in and out within an hour and will be awaiting the results. I KNOW I have a brain, but Lynn has her doubts. This is my chance to prove her wrong .... at least I HOPE so!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

My daughter has had to have a number of MRIs and PET scans during her treatment. She can’t do it either. They have to puther under a general to do hers.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeah Postie, when they gave me the "panic button" to hang onto, I asked them how many people actually use it. They told me it runs about 15%.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve had a couple and promptly took a nap during both. Guess that means I’m not claustrophobic...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yeah CD, Lynn had one and also fell asleep. 'Course, she's one to NEVER pass up an opportunity for a nap. Me? I could have taken a nap and the thought crossed my mind, but I was too interested in listening to the sounds and trying to figure out what the thing was doing and how it worked. I guess I could look it up on Al Gore's World Wide Web, but it'll have to be a time when I'm bored and have nothing better to do. I just can't figure out why all the different sounds are necessary.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I am super claustrophobic and absolutely hate them, but I've done 3-4 for my back issues. The first one I ever did I shimmied out the back of it because they weren't getting me out fast enough. Now I take as many Valium as they'll give me and its still torture.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I have had several and my experiences have varied. The first couple I had no issues with whatsoever but the most recent one for my shoulder it was touch and go in a BIG way. Don't know if it had something with the way they had me contorted and locked into place or what but it was all I could do to get through the process the last time.

For those of you who have met me know I'm not a big guy, though my belt my disagree a bit lately, but for the life of me I can not see how larger folks can even fit into those little tubes.

So my experience has been everything from what Thumper went through (interest and awe), to taking a nap, to fighting like hell to not go berserk.