Thread: A Rainy Day

A Rainy Day

Its gonna be a reading day today, since the wether here is gonna be schitty, as they say in Schenectody.

Got up early and was looking over the bookcase and damned if I didn’t pick up Master and Commander just to look at it. Thumbed a page or two, readthe introduction and now I’m in Minorca with Aubrey and Maturin again. I think I’ve read the series either four or five times now. More than Sand County Almanac and that’s saying something.

This is gonna take a while!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Nice and sunny with clear blue skies here, come on down. We're about to load up the car and head to Ft. Myers Beach for a few days. I really, really, really NEED some unwind time. I can't think of a better way to do it. Try to keep these yokels out of trouble while I'm away.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Its funny how memories work. One of my favorite memories of Fort Meyers was a roadside fruit stand we’d stop at there on our way to Sanibel. They had the absolute sweetest cantaloupes in the entire known universe. Man they were good.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I’d seen that series mentioned here and when I had my knee surgery a few years ago, I got the first book on my kindle and ended up going through the entire series.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

“Don’t stand in the door like a goddamned Lenten cock!”

Now that is some prose.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    That would an official of the royal court crowing like a cock on every hour of Ash Wednesday in the early 19th century to remember Peter’s denial of Jesus during his trial in case you’re curious

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Just finished the O'Brian series myownself a few days ago. Also for the umpteenth time. I love the way he writes. There are a couple of other books he wrote prior to the Aubrey/Maturin series that are interesting, Not prequels but an idea where the A/M series came from - "The Unknown Shore" and "The Golden Ocean". Good stuff.

Starting (again for the umpteenth time) the Lucas Davenport 'Prey' series by John Sandford. On book 2 right now. Also good stuff.

I’ve read the Prey series a couple times too. I’m probably more of a Virgil Flowers fan than Davenport.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I like Kidd, a man of many talents

I had never read a series in my life. I read a book called This Tender Land by a writer I hadn’t heard of, William Kent Kruger. It was a really good book and not part of a series. Highly recommend it...

Anyway, before I go all Thumper. I decide to see if he’s written anything else and ordered another one from Amazon by this guy. Another good book I really enjoyed about a Sheriff in northern Minnesota. Lots of native American stuff, Canadian shield stuff, lake stuff, outdoors stuff, wilderness stuff, boundary waters stuff, murder mystery, suspense, etc.

Turns out it was his first book in a series... I got it just by chance. fast forward to now and I just cracked the 16th book in the series, it have the 17th inline and the 18th will be released in July.

I’ve really enjoyed it and wonder how many other good series I’ve missed.

Gonna look up that Kruger guy Lenster. Sounds interesting.

Love That Fuckin' Flowers. A totally different character than Davenport. Less old school and more 'civilized'? Good reading but the latest novels are starting to slip a bit.

I think Storm Front was the latest Flowers novel I read and it was so implausible I almost didn’t finish it. Seems like the crimes just have to keep getting bigger and bigger?

My favorite ofthe Prey series were the ones about the lady assassin from Kansas City. She used a 22 in all her hits.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yes. Clara Rinker? Good story line 'cept I'd hoped she would get away.

Always finding new hidden O’Brien puns in his stories. The ‘Cacafuego’ slipped by me until this time through. Gave me a chuckle.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Looks like your double post slipped by you also.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

But it never slips by you!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Got me there Postie. Not being a Spanish speaker I never knew what the name meant till I looked it up - Shitfire, it turns out. Missed the pun though.