Thread: Watermelons

Watermelons

Having an ice cold one for lunch. This one isn’t bad, it made its way up here from south Texas. The really good farm raised ones locally won’t be ready for a bit yet.

We can get watermelon year round now. What progress!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    11.5 net carbs per cup, not exactly a diabetics friend.....and I love em. BTW a cup would only arouse my appetite without putting it to bed

Yep but they’re ‘fast’ carbs. They don’t stick to your delicate ribs.

Then you can eat more!

With lots of salt!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Posty, do you prefer the yellow meat, Charleston grays or the Black Diamonds best?

I've always heard that a stolen watermelon is the best watermelon ... and I can verify that as fact! My buddy and I spent the day hunting jackrabbits out in the California desert one morning and on our drive back home, spotted a coyote cross the road about 1/4 mile ahead of us. When we got to where he'd crossed, we pulled over and spotted him midway up a hill where he'd stopped and was looking back down at us. The only guns we had were the shotguns we'd used for rabbit hunting AND a couple of .22 rifles we'd taken with us for "plinking". Out came the old .22 and I nailed him at about 50-yards up the hill. (He'd just stood there watching us the whole time) I hiked up the hill and he was just a grungy old desert coyote with a thin, splotchy coat, but I pulled my trusty pocket knife and returned to the truck with his tail as a trophy. (now that I think about it, I have no clue whatever happened to that tail)

Anyway, as we were loading back up to continue home, we noticed there was a huge watermelon field on the opposite side of the highway. We looked around and didn't see any sort of civilization around and it was just out in the middle of nowhere. Of course, we had to take a few big ol' samples home with us and to this day, those were the best tasting watermelons I've ever had in my life, and that was probably at least 35 years ago!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Looking at the price of watermelon at the store that would be felony theft now

Crimson Sweets or Black Diamond would be the ones I look for. We used to raise big long ones at home but the growers have gone to rounder varieties it seems like.

We had a few epic watermelon stealing nights during my tenure as a dumbass teenager. It mainly involved loading up four or five drunks in the back of a pickup and hitting a few places in the country. We had our favorites. We didn’t vandalize anybody’s gardens or anything though. We did get shot at once. Peppered actually but from a big distance.
    Like Jim said, those melons were sure tasty.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!