Thread: Who Has Gone A-Eeling?

Who Has Gone A-Eeling?

Our buddy the former Cliff Claven just recommended a book about British eeling called ‘Chronicles of an Eel Angler’. I’m sure I’ve fished waters where eels live but have never caught one or seen one. I always though of them as a river fish. I have seen a ling cod and it creeped me out a bit. Not the same though.

I’m sure Hidehunter loves them with fava beans and a nice chianti. Who’s fished for them?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I was fishing for catfish one night as a kid and caught a (large) lamprey, if that counts. It kind's creeped me out also, especially the mouth. Never intentionally fished for eels though.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'd eat some provided I didn't have to catch, handle or look at it until it came out of the grease.

I've caught and or seen several Lamprey eels but usually out of muddy stagnant water

nasty looking critters

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I'd avoid the shrieking eels tho. They get louder as they're about to feed on human flesh

eels.jpg

Actually, the real thing isn’t that far from the actual. 59450B24-8ADB-4563-A483-B95FE3E4D174.jpg I believe I took this this guy’s picture in St Lucia. But I never thought of morays as creepy, I always thought they were cool. Never handled one though.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’ve caught a few on the tidal River I grew up fishing. But, have never targeted them. I’m always good for a couple of pieces of Unagi when I hit a sushi place though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Caught them a few times when fishing for channel cats. My old man used to love eating the slimy buggers but they never appealed to me. Pretty good eats, said he.

We caught a few one night near Tampa bay. We were catfishing actually and i guess a school came through cause me and my dad and my brother all caught one within 20 minutes of each other
    They were shiny silver, about 3 feet long, and had teeth.
    We cut the lines and let them slither their way back into the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk