Thread: Thought I’d Heard It All

Thought I’d Heard It All

I’m in a FB group called ‘Backroads of Arkansas’. Lots of beautiful and cool places in that state.

Anyway, someone ost a picture of one of their favorite dishes: pinto beans heaped over a piece of chocolate cake.

I’m a bean eater from birth and can do some damage to a chocolate cake. Sheet cakes especially. But putting the two together never occured to me.

What a combo.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Hmmmm .... "bean cake". TBH, I'm a bean lover myownfineself and when it comes to pinto beans, my favorite combination is beans (pinto, black-eyed or even lima) with plenty of pot likker/liquor, served over sweet cornbread. I guess cake wouldn't be that much of a stretch, although the "chocolate" sounds kind'a weird. White/yellow cake or even pound cake sounds more interesting to me, but I'd try it. (I assume the chocolate cake has no icing!)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    there are some things that fly in the face of nature like peanut butter on a hamburger or a cherry dill pickle but pinto beans on chocolate cake is depraved

I think my wife is on that same Facebook group

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    there are some things that fly in the face of nature like peanut butter on a hamburger or a cherry dill pickle but pinto beans on chocolate cake is depraved
    Many years ago, when I was working in Hollywood, there was a gourmet burger place down the street. A few buddies and I went there for lunch one day and they had every burger combination known to man on the menu. One was a peanut butter & jelly burger. I laughed and a couple of my buddies dared me to order one. I politely told them to STFU and I continued to peruse the menu. The owner of the joint overheard our conversation, along with the dare I'd received, and made me an offer. He said he'd make one for me and if I didn't like it, I could have anything on the menu at no charge. Well duh! Sounded ok to me. He made a peanut butter and grape jelly burger for me and the thing was KICK-ASS GOOD! In fact, we'd go back there for lunch a few times a month and that was my go-to burger from that point forward! I guess it's one of those "don't knock it 'til you've tried it" sort'a deals.

Lynn makes a damn good crockpot thing that we once took to a party with us. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, but I think it's just meat balls (NO FRIGGING FILLER CRAP), chili sauce and grape jelly. She spread them out on a tray with a toothpick stuck in each one and the whole batch disappeared immediately! After that first time, the word spread and EVERY single time we were ever invited to any sort of get-together, she was always asked to her spicy grape jelly meatballs.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Thought I’d Heard It All

Hell, I know for a fact that somebody on this site has put grape jelly on his ribs before smoking them. Some people’s depravity knows no bounds…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    possum innards and peanut butter taste good

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Hell, I know for a fact that somebody on this site has put grape jelly on his ribs before smoking them. Some people’s depravity knows no bounds…
    I had an old hunting buddy who always assumed the position of camp cook. He used Apple Jelly (and honey maybe?) when he'd baste his ribs. He'd put it in a pan on his large trailer mounted grill and leave it off to the side of the grill where it would stay warm and liquified for basting. What's that word I'm lookin' for? Larrupin?

Quote Originally Posted by airbud7 View Post
    possum innards and peanut butter taste good
    To a buzzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Hmmmm .... "bean cake". TBH, I'm a bean lover myownfineself and when it comes to pinto beans, my favorite combination is beans (pinto, black-eyed or even lima) with plenty of pot likker/liquor, served over sweet cornbread. I guess cake wouldn't be that much of a stretch, although the "chocolate" sounds kind'a weird. White/yellow cake or even pound cake sounds more interesting to me, but I'd try it. (I assume the chocolate cake has no icing!)
    This is the pic they posted of it. Looks like a plain piece of chocolate cake to me. Someone in my family always brings a chocolate sheet cake from a recipe my Aunt Katherine always made for family get-togethers. Next time I make a pot of beans I might have to have Julie make us a sheet cake.

BKB

876D1A72-CCE7-42F9-8981-70212A2C729C.jpg
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I can see jelly because sweet and meat go together especially if there's some heat to go with it but beans are sacred man. I've got a slow cooker with beans cooking raht now, cornbread is done and waiting and the onion sliced. Got a piece of smoked brisket to go with it and some sweet tea

spiritual food

When it comes to most any beans ... I got's ta' have my hot sauce also ... and lots of it! Beans, cornbread and hot sauce! Dang it! Now I'm hungry ... no, make that HONGRY!

My old man’s favorite meal of all time was brown beans, fried taters, and cornbread. It’s mine too if you add a couple of fried pork chops to go with it.
    And then before bedtime a glass of sweet milk with a piece of that cornbread crumbled up in it for dessert.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

“Sweet milk”??? How old are you? Like 90?

What the hell you call it?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ummmm .... MILK!