Thread: Really interesting ....

Really interesting ....

I don't expect many to actually watch this, as it's just a hair over 1-1/2 hrs. long, but it was pretty interesting. If you have the time, you may want to watch. I'm not pushing any sort of agenda, it's just an interesting perspective.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

So you think the electric car is dead? Or do they think its dead?
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I think with the technology, battery life improvement, incentives and rebates that they're going to become very attractive especially to the urban cave dwellers. I rode in one just a few weeks ago and it was nice. Got about 100 miles per charge and only had a five gallon tank. It was a 35K vehicle he got for about 18K after all was said and done.

Nice and smooth with plenty of power. Probably not very practical for country folk or traveling cross country but it was very nice

Oneof my sons is on his second Prius. Says he’ll never own another gas only vehicle. And yeo, he’s a townie.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I drove a Prius until the Hybrid battery died......looking for another. I loved it

I look for a lot of dollars to get thrown to charging stations and I’m glad for it, but they should include CNG stations too. Its still a fossil fuel but its a much cleaner one and can help a lot of folks that depend on gasoline engines now. Quite a few city fleets nowadays run CNG and most buses I think run CNG. I’ve considered it for my pickup a few times but I don’t want to give up that much bed space.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Nope, I don’t think it’s dead, but with all the years I spent with GM, I don’t doubt anything in the documentary as far as them trying to bury the things. I just found the film interesting. I’m also curious as to when it came out? It was posted on YouTube a year ago. If I were an urbanite, I’d consider one. My question is, will you see ANYONE driving the same car for 20-30 years? How much does a battery pack cost? Is the car totaled (from a financial standpoint) once the batteries take a shit? Of course, the availability of charging stations (and charge times) would be critical.

That said, Lynn’s brother had been a Toyota (Lexus Division) Engineer for years. They had a pool of cars at the office and the employees (I would assume it was “upper rank” employees) could drive whatever car they wanted. He loved the Hydrogen car and almost always drove one. I rode with him once and it was kind’a cool, mostly just because I knew we were running on Hydrogen. The only thing that came out of the exaust was water. He retired recently and STILL drives a Hydrogen powered Toyota. I really don’t even know if he worked some sort of deal with Toyota, or if they’re available to the general public. I asked about fueling stations and that was a problem. He’d full up at work, but knew where other fueling points were. Now that he’s retired, I don’t know where he fuels up, plus Toyota has moved their headquarters from California to Texas (which is what he based his decision to retire on). Of course, he just drives around in L. A. traffic and flies if he goes very far, so that makes a difference.

I’ve long thought that hydrogen was a viable alternative fuel. The fuel cellis the main problem, or was.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

It’s addressed in the video. They weren’t too keen on hydrogen.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Several years ago a CNG station was built at a local truck stop. Put in pumps and the large storage tank. Leased the ground for it from Pilot who owns the truck stop.

The problem is, they built it and never opened it for even one single minute. Must have been nothing more than a tax write off. It’s in a great location right next to I-80/90 and I-69.

A buddy of mine had been delivering motor coaches/RV’s and then he found out that he could make more delivering city buses and garbage trucks from somewhere in the Chicago area to Cleveland. It’s a straight shot across I-90 but he had to divert about 50 miles south of I-90 to fill up with CNG instead of a half a mile if the one at the local Pilot was in operation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Probably because we’re in a gas producung state (shut up Thump), we have quite a few CNG stations around here. But you’re right, range is the big issue with almost all of the alternate energy vehicles nowadays. There was a startup here in Tulsa that was working on new CNG tank that took up less space and greatly increased the range. I think they got whacked good with covid but maybe they’ll get something to market soon.\
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    #2 son picks up his new Tesla tomorrow, it's going to be their town car.
    Michigan does not allow car purchases if there is not a dealership in the state, Tesla only sells over the internet. He had to order it from Chicago. If you have a problem, Tesla sends a Service Tech over to your house.
    He's having his charging station installed next week.
    Looking forward to driving it, should be fun.
    He's telling me it will beat my Jag off the line with it's instant power, says it's good for about a 300 mile range.
    His Doctor buddy has one that they drove down to Fla. Had to stop about every 4 hours to charge it, but a 15 min charge would get them on the road again. Thee is an app. that shows the location of charging stations, so that wasn't a big deal.
    So far I've seen two location (could be more) here in town, one at a big Super Market chain, the other at a Resurant.
    I'll let you know.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    There a Tesla charging station at a Ramada not far from my house. No idea where any others are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."