Thread: Not sure how you southern folk do it

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar

Not sure how you southern folk do it

Handle the humidity that is.

We were lucky enough to spend a few days in Nashville last week and had a grand time doing so, except for the stinking humidity. This northern lad couldn't walk 100 yards without sweating like a pig and you should have seen me Sunday morning after walking 10-12 blocks to church in boots and wranglers! While sitting in the pew my wife looked at me and asked if I was going to make it. For awhile I wasn't really sure.

That being said we had a pretty darn good time.

We listening to quite a bit of live music in the bars and eateries on Broadway, strolled through the Country Music Hall of Fame, visited the Mother Church of country music that being the Ryman Auditorium, and the highlight for me was attending the Grand Ol Opry where we celebrated Whispering Bill Anderson's 60th Anniversary of being a member, watched Ricky Skaggs do his thing, and heard Mark Wills, Sara Evans, and Vince Gill all in person. Pretty darn cool experience.

True story, when we got off of the plane here in good old ND it was still in the mid-90's, I never saw it above 86 degrees in Nashville, and it truly felt much cooler given the lower humidity!

Next time, we are going to have to do so when the weather is a bit cooler so I don't melt.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Bill Anderson? Ricky Skaggs? Vince (estrogen) Gill?

My condolences

Ha ha ha! Call me in January and I'll answer your question from the beach.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Not sure how you southern folk do it

Sounds like a great trip And I loved all the pics on FB. As for the weather, it’s all what you’re used to. We did a family trip out to Montana and Wyoming a few years back and it was the most beautiful 80 degree, low humidity, sky blue weather I’ve ever seen. All the locals could do was complain about the heat wave…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 07-23-2021 at 07:14 AM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Bwana, my best advice is to find a shade tree and try to be as still as possible. And have someone fan you while you drink iced tea and lemonade.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

As CD said, it's what you're used to.

Believe it or not, we grew up with no a/c (that was a luxury for rich folks .... the same with "built in" swimming pools and wall-to-wall carpeting). Heck, even rich people were the only ones to have a/c in their cars. I grew up around the car business (my dad and two uncles) and remember when the Yankee dealers would bring truckloads of used cars down here to dump. They'd have all been in salt (winter roads up north) and "rust-proofing" wasn't quite as advanced as it is now. "Undercoating" was about all you could do and you had to have that done yourself (dealer or aftermarket). Anyway, they'd dump those Northern rust buckets down here at the auction, then haul a load of local cars back up North. We could always spot a Yankee car because it would have a heater (they were an option back in the day). It was widely known, if you bought a used car with a heater in it, you could expect it to be rusted out within a couple years 'cause it starts on the inside and works it's way out. Odd, but years later, you could always spot a Northern rust bucket because it had no a/c! Which brings up a question I haven't even thought about for years, is a/c even an option in passenger cars these days? I honestly have no clue.

I will say, once a/c became the norm, I got to the point I couldn't live without it. I was spoiled. But, when I entered the military and was sent to beautiful S.E. Asia, I ended up living in a small village with no a/c (no electricity) or running water ... in a subtropical country! The temps. ranged from 86-degrees (F) in the Winter to 105 in the Summer. Add the 99.9% humidity and it made Florida seem like paradise! Ok, I finally got used to it and it became "normal". After living there for 4 years, I returned "home" to California where my family had moved while I was away. I returned in August when it was considered HOT in L.A. If I got anywhere even close to an air conditioner, my teeth would literally be chattering and I'd be freezing my ass off! People though I was crazy showing up for work in long sleeved shirts and a coat or jacket! I was miserable riding in a car with anyone because they always turned on the a/c! I finally got used to it and when I went to buy my first house, I informed the realtor a/c was a must.

These days, I consider a/c a gift from God and it's on my required to live list! But again, weather is what you're used to and you get acclimated to wherever it is you live.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain