Thread: Ain’t No Ordinary Dogs

Ain’t No Ordinary Dogs

This morning at 0530, my usual rising time, I heard a racket in the kitchen as I was sitting on the edge of the bed pulling on my britches. So I hurried in there to find a baby rabbit loose and running here and there. Harley, the husky, thought I might take it away from him so he grabbed it and wouldn’t drop it for anything. So I booted him out the back door. River, the husky, and Maya the springer ran right out behind them. Good riddance. Then I heard Harley come back in through the pet door in the mud room so I had to run back and lock that thing. Finally got my coffee and went outside to see what was going on. The sprinklers had come on and its hot as can be even at 0530 so they all had a good time. I finally let them back in the house an hour or so ago. This winter’s score is three possums, two baby squirrels (barfed up on the sofa), two cardinal babies, one dove baby, and now a rabbit.
    It also happens to be the second anniversary of when we got word that these two pups had been found with an abandonded litter when someone moved out in the night to avoid paying rent they owed. We were floating the Current River in Missouri that weekend and when julie got the message about them from our son she said we’ll take ‘em. So we took ‘em. This is the pic he sent her.
    4CF91A52-0EA3-4B69-9952-B5175A3E4D63.jpg

Yep, we’re dog people. Prolly THOSE kinds of dog people, too in case you were wondering. No painted toenails or weiner dogs. Just regular dog people. They should have initials like lgtbq or something for weiner dog people.

Since I met Julie we’ve always had springers. Three generations of them now. We did have a husky that came to us grown that died of cancer. These two are the first huskies we’ve raised from pups. Lemme tell you, they aren’t regular dogs. They’re busy, into everything, stubborn as hell and difficult to train, theydig holes, they chew stuff up, they’re just a real handful. Times two for these sibliings. River and Harley. This morning is nothing.The prey drive is amazing in these dogs. They team up and work together like velociraptors. Their ears are like radar dishes. They can see like Superman and they can smell like sharks. Amazing animals.

Anyways, I’m bragging. Maybe in five years or so they’ll settle down. But inspite of all that, they’re really really good dogs.
    BKB

9AB7AD15-2AB2-442A-B9D4-52C7F85DE6E4.jpg

9B47D9F2-47B3-4727-AEAB-D188F8FBE81C.jpg

7CA3DE66-5840-4FEF-98AC-7B4DFCEB8094.jpg

32A4B5E7-BB15-49C8-AEA5-797FD256C6A5.jpg

A5A8DBAE-97EF-466C-8A0C-C1F3C7A51298.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    good thing none of Thumps killer cats are around or you might be out of the dog business

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Eskimo type dogs are for sure different. I had an Alaskan Malamute for almost 15 years and can seriously relate to them being a 'handful". I figure that they are one of the few breeds that could make it on their own after the zombie apocalypse. Tough, smart, independent and great.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    Eskimo type dogs are for sure different. I had an Alaskan Malamute for almost 15 years and can seriously relate to them being a 'handful". I figure that they are one of the few breeds that could make it on their own after the zombie apocalypse. Tough, smart, independent and great.
    E2D1A3C6-2C2D-4694-B4C1-3ECFA88F39F0.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    good thing none of Thumps killer cats are around or you might be out of the dog business

Which I’ve been meaning to ask how many pussy cats he takes in his tenement on wheels.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Romulus and Remus…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I gots a coupl’a little pussies here that would have those mutts cowering in the corner!

Looking at that top pic, I can’t believe you didn’t name the one on the left, Bandit.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    "Dad, Let me tell you how I saved this plant from drowning in the dirt!"

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 12.27.03 PM.jpg

Hombre has the funniest dog story I thik I’ve ever heard. His GSP Jaeger was the scourge of the neighborhood and accomplished burglar.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    is that the one that chewed thru the fence and went in the doggy door of the neighbors house in the middle of the night and trashed his house before the neighbor chased him out with a baseball bat?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    is that the one that chewed thru the fence and went in the doggy door of the neighbors house in the middle of the night and trashed his house before the neighbor chased him out with a baseball bat?
    Yep that's the one, he actually ended up wearing the doggy door out because he was really too big for it. I loved that dog. He had an insatiable need to hunt and when he was in the field he was the perfect dog. When he was penned up (1 acre mind you) he just couldn't stand it. I had a coated chain link fence. My first issue with keeping him in was he'd chew through the fence. He did this 2-3 times before I ran an electric wire all the way around the fence. At first it worked but like a velociraptor he'd test it and once it wasn't on he'd chew through again. Then once I tested it weekly myself to ensure it always had continuity he learned to climb. He'd literally paw his way to the top and hop over. I eventually put an electric fence on the top too, which worked until we moved.

In 2012 we moved to Redmond, Wa. I moved first and the rest of the family stayed back while I got settled in. I took some clothes, the dog (too much for Kathryn to handle), and my guns. My first 3 months I lived in corporate housing. It was actually a pretty nice 3 bed 2 bath house, with a small fenced back yard. Things went well for about the first week. One weekend I decided to go to Seattle and check the fish market. I bet I wasn't gone 2 hours, and when I returned Jaeger was gone. He'd chewed through the wood fence. Luckily after a few hours of walking the neighborhood he came back. So, I called corporate housing and asked if they could repair the fence (not sure why I just didn't do it) and I'd pay for it. The fixed it and said not to worry the cost was not enough to invoice. A few more weeks go by and I go back out to the yard and Jaeger has now chewed all the way across the house about a 3 foot tall strip where no siding remains. This one cost me.

With that I lost my mind. I didn't know what to do, I was working crazy long hours, I had no support system, and my dog did not seem to be adapting well. I decided at 7 years old I was going to turn him into an inside dog. I wasn't totally crazy I would just spend every minute at home with him and when I left I'd put him in the mud room, entry through the garage..this is important later. The good side of this plan was work was only 10 minutes away. I planned to spend nights with him until late, then get up early and take an AM walk, then return for lunch and walk him, then rinse and repeat until the family got here. That lasted about 2 days. On the second day I came home for lunch opened the garage and he'd clawed / chewed through both walls of sheetrock and his head was sticking out looking at me as the garage door opened.

I'd like to say I was the great dog owner (I really loved that dog) and say that I stuck it out but I didn't. My father in law had hunted with me many times, and also knew how good of a dog he was. I called him and asked if he wanted him, and that's where he went. He's long since past, all of this was in 2012, but I can still remember him running milo fields full tilt and when he'd get a whiff of a covey he'd spin so hard he'd almost fall down, and that covey might be 15-20 yards away.