Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: And the "winner" is .....

Well, actually, it's called a mid-size I think (Tacoma/4-Runner). The "full size" (Tundra/Sequoia) does have a V-8. What's being discussed here is MODERN automobiles. You live with the times. I buy new cars these days, but love and respect the classics. I've always heard the old saying, "They don't make 'em like they used to." On one hand, that sucks ... on the other hand, all I can say is, "Thank God!" It all depends on where your head is. I grew up in the muscle car era and was lucky enough to have access to and drive probably EVERY muscle car available in the '60's and very early 70's, but time moves on. I'd love to have a classic sitting in my garage to play with, but I'd have to dust off my roll-away and shine my tools up if I wanted to make it an every day driver. I would like to have the $$$ to build a nice resto-mod, but it ain't happening in my lifetime. Face it, pump all the horsepower you can out of one of those 850-hp land barges, but try to slow them down with drum brakes! Progress is good in some areas ... but nostalgia is still fun in it's own way.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Sorry Jim I didn't mean to detail things. Just wondered why the torq/power numbers

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Sorry Jim I didn't mean to detail things. Just wondered why the torq/power numbers were a bit soft. Turns out they're running a bit of an Atkinson cycle so that explains it.

Point I clumsily tried to make is that emissions and vehicle weight have gotten things so throttled that you can pretty much up your power and/or efficiency over stock. Even match stock power below 2000 rpm and beat them everywhere else while keeping efficiency. That's never been the case before.

My old mentor/professor from college was here for a visit this week. He's an engine guy and his opinion is that the EPA is trying to outlaw engines without doing it openly. Looking at the kind of emissions regs they're bringing in would lead one to think so.

Will

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Sorry Jim I didn't mean to detail things.
    Will
    Good thing Allison isn't in charge here

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Sorry Jim I didn't mean to detail things. Just wondered why the torq/power numbers were a bit soft. Turns out they're running a bit of an Atkinson cycle so that explains it.

Point I clumsily tried to make is that emissions and vehicle weight have gotten things so throttled that you can pretty much up your power and/or efficiency over stock. Even match stock power below 2000 rpm and beat them everywhere else while keeping efficiency. That's never been the case before.

My old mentor/professor from college was here for a visit this week. He's an engine guy and his opinion is that the EPA is trying to outlaw engines without doing it openly. Looking at the kind of emissions regs they're bringing in would lead one to think so.

Will
    I have to agree. I’m not at all sure how to reduce vehicle emissions without doing it through a carbon tax or by regulation. Of course,the freedom to pollute will be in front of SCOTUS soon, guaranteed.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!