Thread: CFB week 3

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

CFB week 3

8-5 for the week 21 -11 YTD 65.6%

Just for the record, I try to select games of interest or "homer" games unless it's a total mismatch (like the hogs and Bama). If you have a request I'll add it in.

(1) Nebraska at No. 3 Oklahoma | 12 p.m. | FOX
    This has the potential for a classic beatdown. Rattler could probably throw left hand and the Sooners would still win. True they shut out sisters of the poor last week but the jury is still out on how good the defense is. Sooners 48-16

(2) No. 8 Cincinnati at Indiana | 12 p.m. | ESPN
    Neither team has looked like world beaters but it's a home game so I figure the Hoosiers will be fired up but not enough to call for an upset. Cincy 33-20

(3) No. 15 Virginia Tech at West Virginia | 12 p.m. | FS1
    I really thought hard about this one but I think the Hokies pull out a tough one 31-23

(4) Michigan State at No. 24 Miami | 12 p.m. | ABC
    D'Eric King just hasn't impressed at QB for the Canes and something keeps telling me to pick the Spartans. I think these two teams are very evenly matched and should be a close but boring game. I'm going with my gut and calling the upset....Sparty 30-27

(5) Purdue at No. 12 Notre Dame | 2:30 p.m. | NBC
    This is a game that Purdue can win and the Irish just haven't looked that good this year. Really tempting but I'm going to play the percentages here. Boilers will keep it close but the luck of the Irish holds 35-27

(6) Alabama at No. 11 Florida | 3:30 p.m. | CBS
    Bama is supposed to have this killer defense this year but I just haven't seen it yet. I would not be surprised if we had an upset. I also would not be surprised at a Bama blowout. We'll know a lot more about both teams after Saturday ....Bama 37-26

(7) Florida State at Wake Forest | 3:30 p.m. | ESPN
    All I can say is "Thank you Hunter Yurichek for not hiring Mike Norvell. What a dumpster fire! With all the money and talent in that penis shaped state there is absolutely no reason to lose to a team called the "Cocks". Demon Deacons 30-20

(8) Georgia Southern at No. 20 Arkansas | 4 p.m. | SEC Network
    Triple option teams injure players and are hard to prepare for. The Hogs should romp but I thought that against N Texas state too. I'm going to take the cautiously optimistic view and say Hogs 34-17 and hope nobody gets a knee injury

(9) Mississippi State at Memphis | 4 p.m. | ESPN2
    Memphis scored 55 but gave up 50 to Arkansas st. MSU looked pretty salty. I'll say the Dogs 33-24

(10) Auburn at No. 10 Penn State | 7:30 p.m. | ABC
    Auburn has scored 122 points in two games but not so fast my friend. Two mediocre overrated teams, Auburn 27-24

(11) Virginia at No. 21 North Carolina | 7:30 p.m. | ACC Network
    The Cavs beat up a hapless Illinois team but the Tarholes are neither hapless or Illinois. I honestly don't know what to think about this match up. Gotta go for NC just for Larke. Tarholes 30-20

(12) Tulane at No. 17 Ole Miss | 8 p.m. | ESPN2
    I hate Ole Miss about as bad as Eddie does and Tulane can score some points but so can the Lane Train. I'm gonna say the rebelblackbearlandsharks win a shootout 45-31

(13) Oklahoma State at Boise State | 9 p.m. | FS1
    Kinda wished I had dodged this one and I'm sure I'll regret it but I'm going Boise st 27-26

Initial thoughts are I expect the Sooners to win at home but not to cover. Nebraska is playing for pride and Scott Frost is from the era when they were good so he remembers and knows how to jack them up. Depth will be an issue in the Okie heat though.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Maybe I’ve been hanging around you Arkansas fans too long. But, I predict a major letdown by Tech in Morgantown. In fact, a blowout of epic proportions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

That’s right Chick, keep the expectations low and you may be surprised from time to time but you’ll never be disappointed

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    "I really thought hard about this one but I think the Hokies pull out a tough one 31-23"

I hope not, I hate those guys.

"Auburn has scored 122 points in two games but not so fast my friend. Two mediocre overrated teams, Auburn 27-24"

I'm leaning the other way on this one. Penn State (unfortunately) looks like they have a real defense this year.

Will

Its game time and I’m as excited about this game with Nebraska as any I’ve watched in years. Its gonna be good!

That 14 play td drive oughta take some starch outta those huskers.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

ya'll need to quit jacking around Posty, you're making Nebraska look better than they really are

Its been a good ball game. Typical of the series with these guys. OU has a long way to go to be a good ball club, IMO. We’ll growup and get there. Lots of freshmen out there.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Sorry Muddy. Your guys got screwed by the official. Not sure why it was that close in thefirst place but….

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Arkansas looked liked crap yesterday. A&M will kill us if we play like that nest week

I think the transfer portal has been a big equalizer in the levels of talent these schools can get. Seems like everyone has their transfer back or receiver making a difference. And there have been some nice matchups, but there really aren’t many teams looking all that dominant right now.
    I thought Florida exposed a few weaknesses in Alabama on both sides of the ball.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Clemson, or the whole ACC for that matter, haven’t been showing me much so far this year either.

Clemson and tOSU DROP TO 9 and 10 and ND (the most mediocre 3-0 team ever) stays at 12. Maybe the polls are getting something right this year.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    Clemson and tOSU DROP TO 9 and 10 and ND (the most mediocre 3-0 team ever) stays at 12. Maybe the polls are getting something right this year.

Still plenty of time for them to get it wrong

Week three recap: 9-4 for the week, 30-15 ytd. should have been 13-0, my gut told me to reverse the four I missed but I went with the percentages instead.

1) Alabama is not the best team in the country right now, they may not even be 2nd best in the SEC.

2) Arkansas is not #20 but I understand someone has to be. That will change this weekend

3) Mich st deserves to be in the top 25 but a vastly overrated Miami team is not a good gauge to measure them by.

4) It appears that the ACC and Big 10/14 may not have the dominant team at the top as in years before.

5) Two part observation....the term duel threat QB actually means a QB that has little or no passing/field reading skills. A team with such a type of QB will very likely not win a championship. ie Bama and Ohio st.

6) Mere profanity cannot express how badly I hate that abomination called the targeting rule.

7) Officiating is absolutely atrocious. The NCAA needs to nut up and hire professionals and pay them well to do nothing but officiate well. Poor performance should result in a monetary reduction either by fine or suspension. Part time officials get you what we see today. Simplify the rules to where the average linebacker can understand them. They likewise need these officials to go from school to school each year and hold seminars to be sure all coaches and players understand what constitutes targeting , intentional grounding and other controversial rules as well as ways to avoid them. They also need an intense course in proper usage of the down markers.

8) You can hate Lane Kiffin all you want but in his 2nd year Ole Miss may very well win the SEC west and have a shot at the playoffs. More on that later but they have a QB that can pass and that's what it takes to win in todays game

9) Not sure about the Sooners yet. Saturday will tell us a lot

10) Oregon is the last hope of the left coast mathematically challenged conference