Thread: First Day of Fall!

First Day of Fall!

I hate to say it but I think Summer may have become my favorite season. My entire life I’ve looked forwrd to the Fall all year, but lately those long and lazy days of summer are my favorites.
    Prolly has something to do with hunting. Although I think about it now and again, the more time and distance I put between me and my last hunting trips the less I miss it. I miss the traditiions the most. Deer camp was always important to me, so I guess the social and family aspect of it was a big part for me too. Hell, I may go kill one of my sister’s does down on the family farm. Then again, processing a deer sounds like work these days.

So who’s hunting and what are your 2021 plans? I see Trav has been slaying muleys (does, as they are sometimes known here). Haven’t seen much else or much discussion about it. Tree rats is all.

Hope y’all have a great season and kill that biggun this year.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Still early here. We’ve got the youth deer hunt this weekend and I’m gonna help out a buddy by “guiding” one of his twins. We’ve got an early bear season for a couple of days early next week. But, work messed up my plan to stay down at camp and hunt that. Otherwise, squirrel is about the only thing that’s in until the deer archery season starts the first weekend in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

I hunted religiously for many, many years and I'm with you, the camaraderie is what I miss most. EVERYONE I regularly hunted with has passed away and with my own health issues, hunting for me is nothing more than fond memories. TBH, once I got away from it, I didn't really miss it as much as I thought I would.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I'm with you BBP I've become a big fan of those long summer days. I'm not sure if its because the really short winter days this far north, or that the summer days are so great here with nights getting in the low 70s. That being said I still get pretty excited for season changes. The first snow, changing of the leaves, that first bit of fall you feel in the air it's all awesome. I still remember the first snow we'd get in Oklahoma and I'd get out and check for tracks for coyote calling. While I love summer the changes of the seasons are must haves for me.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I like the cool temperatures of fall. I like seeing the grass dead in my yard. Football and basketball season. Fall colors and the migrating birds at the feeders. Hot bowls of soup and thick stews. The smell of baked bread and coffee brewing. Sitting outside at daylight and listening to the world wake up. The north wind chasing the leaves around the yard. The women in Walmart wearing clothes that cover up all that ugly fat and varicose veins. The memories of hunting seasons past and the anticipation of fishing trips to come. Pumpkins and butternut squash. Thanksgiving. Women in scarves. Christmas decorations and music. I like seeing the power of God in the clouds as they race across the gray sky before a cold front. Drinking coffee and listening to the old men talk at the deer camp. Hot apple cider. Sitting and reading a good book on a cold day. Perusing the fishing catalog and restringing my reels. Did I mention seeing the grass dead in my yard?

Yeah, I'm a fall and winter kinda guy

Speaking of migrations. We’ve had a big cold front come through here that have dropped us from the high 90’s to a low of 57 here this morning and going to a high of 80 today. So major dose of fall for us. Maybe that’s why my neck….

Here’s a radar image of the cold front, but the signal on it isn’t clouds, its monarch butterflies following the north winds down behind it.
    Pretty cool. QA mentioning migrations made me think of posting it. I’ve driven through these before on my way to Norman for football games and its a sight to behold. I think people planting a lot of milkweed for them too has helped. Anyways, its cool.

BKB

F0C186FE-A39A-451D-8AC1-FAB165CB1053.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

Fall also always makes me think of Thanksgiving, by far my favorite holiday. I know a lot of people debate the best holidays but I can't see a logical argument for anything being better than Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving has food, you can start day drinking while prepping/cooking, it has football, it has mid day naps, hunting kicks into full swing and there isn't the pressure of presents or doorbells ringing over and over.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Fall also always makes me think of Thanksgiving, by far my favorite holiday. I know a lot of people debate the best holidays but I can't see a logical argument for anything being better than Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving has food, you can start day drinking while prepping/cooking, it has football, it has mid day naps, hunting kicks into full swing and there isn't the pressure of presents or doorbells ringing over and over.
    I am with you 100% on this. I love everything about the fall harvest festival vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Don't you homos forget about your pumpkin spice lattes!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    Don't you homos forget about your pumpkin spice lattes!
    Looks like someone's angling for an invite to the Fall "Ball"

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I've heard that only women and men who are insecure in their masculinity drink pumpkin spice lattes

and homos

Or Yuppies.

I take it Len likes his lattes straight up?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Shirley Temple lattes.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Fall is my favorite time of year.

I love the cool weather, the changing of the leaves, being out in God's beautiful countryside chasing critters, and breathing the fresh, clean air. The sound of thousands of geese migrating, the brilliant colors of rooster pheasants with their cackling of indignation when forced to flush from their vegetative vestibule. And if you ever get as lucky as I was last week to watch and listen to elk rutting...let's just say, it is WAY cool or at least it is for this flatlander.

As for hunting, I plan on trying to find some pheasants this fall so my dog doesn't disown me but given the drought we've had all year, that might be a tough order to fill. I was unable to draw a deer tag back home yet again, but two of the kids did so at least I can hunt with them and Dad. I did get a doe tag in my backup unit but EHD has hit and not sure if there will be anything left to hunt given the piles of dead deer that are being reported.

I have an archery tag also but see above...I might need to head west to the badlands to try to get within bow range of a mule deer. As for waterfowl, given the drought I'm not sure how or if I will even partake this year.
    Last edited by Bwana; 09-27-2021 at 02:15 PM.

Given that it’s pothole country and the duck factory of the nation I wonder what the forecast is for duck breeding given the drought? I don’t keep up with DU any more and our beloved Herb is gone. It has to be rough on the upland birds too.

Man its purty much too dry to drive off road in any kind of grass right now here. Those catalina convertors start fires if you aren’t careful.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Yeah Posthole, things are super dry up here with MANY potholes just plumb dried up. Not sure if that will make for better hunting, if you are able to find some water, or perhaps worse hunting as they mother ducks were not able to pull off their hatches. Sadly I have not had a chance to see the countryside around here to know which it is but ND has definitely not had the kind of weather this year that makes for a big duck production.

P.S. - that radar screen showing the Monarchs is WAY cool.
    Last edited by Bwana; 09-28-2021 at 04:47 PM.