As a kid one of my favorite times of year was pheasant season. Every year we'd pack up and spend 3-4 days in northern Kansas on the chase for pheasants. There were generally 10-12 people that rotated over the years, some from Kansas, Arkansas, Oklahoma and a few other places. I started those years carrying a BB gun and at that time my dad and uncle walked the fields with us. As the years went on my cousin and I and our friends took over the walking and our dads blocked (with still quite a bit of walking). I have such great memories from those times. Waking up, not wanting to get out of bed, but smelling Grandma's homemade biscuits and gravy, sitting at Pooches (local bar) and playing pool from the time I was 6-7 until I was old enough to drink, and the general camaraderie of the field.

Friday my son and I will pack up and meet my dad and cousin in White Lake, SD. We'll hunt Sat, Sun, Mon, and Tue. This is a trip I've been looking forward to for months White Lake has a lot of the same qualities of where we use to go. At 375 people you can eat at 2 places the cafe or the bar. It has some great hunting and I'm sure we'll make some great memories. I know I've told this story before but really getting excited to get back in a field and in a small town atmosphere.