Thread: Hot sauce perfection

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar

Hot sauce perfection

20211019_081336.jpg

Well it took a few years but I finally nailed a great batch of hot sauce. Posty have me his recipe and that got me started. But I couldn't get the right peppers and the right texture.

Well this year I stuck to Santa Fe peppers, and only ripe ones at that. Boiled them in 2 parts white vinegar, 2 parts tomato juice, and 1 part water. Then took the peppers and processed them with the wife's kitchen aid... Some kind of come shaped thing that took off the skins and separated them out. Them I mixed the sauce paste back to the vinegar and tomato liquid at 1 to 1.

The result was absolutely great. Perfect.

Thanks for the help getting started Posthole.

Will

That must have been tricky to take that picture standing on your haid!

Barry, Jamie, Hank, and I trade hot sauce recipes all the time. Maybe we could make some actually use of this antique website and post some recipes! I made a mango habenero as my last batch and it was really nice. Hank makes a fermented sauce that will make you slap yo mama!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

I’ve not grown Santa Fe peppers before, I’ll have to give them a try. I looked them up. They look like they much be a relative of Tabascos.
    I’ve taken a couple years off from growing peppers to focus on other agricultural delights. I think this coming year I will grow some Fresno peppers and make some sauce from those. I grew them one year and threaded the peppers onto a string and made a hanging dried pepper dealio for the kitchen. I made some great dried pepper flakes from those peppers too. Hot as the hinges on the gates of hell. tasty too on pizza and stuff. I think they’d make a tasty sauce too.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar

Hot sauce perfection

Two of my favorite things are growing my own food (and other agricultural delights!) and making hot sauce. The last couple of years it’s been Serrano, Jalepenos and habanero peppers. I started fermenting it last year and was very happy with the results.

Here’s the base recipe:

https://nourishedkitchen.com/ferment...-sauce-recipe/

I won’t share all the secrets of my yard-to-table fermented fire. But, I use mostly Serranos with a couple of Jalepenos and a Habanero to balance out the flavor.

Here’s a pic of the “in-process”. I’ll have almost 7 quarts put up for bottling when my last batch is ready to be processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Chicken Dinner; 10-20-2021 at 10:03 AM.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Posty: I'm not sure if it was the peppers themselves or the tomato juice I used, but the sauce ended up with a slightly sweet taste to it. But is has a nice warmth to it as well. All in all they had none of the green or bitterness that is common in peppers. Maybe it was due to only using the fully ripened ones? Not sure.

Hank: That looks like a really cool twist on things. I've made my own wine but that is an old family tradition of many generations so I never really thought about how it was done. I really have no experience with doing something similar with food. Kind of intimidating to be honest. But I would guess the flavor is much deeper. I see onions in there and am trying to imagine what fermented onions would taste like.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Will, it’s really simple and I haven’t found a way to screw it up yet. It’s “alive” since it’s fermented and keeps up to a year in the fridge without being processed. Good for the gut health as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke