Howdy guys, I haven’t really spoken too much about this but in March during my yearly physical it was discovered my kidneys were not functioning optimally. So I went to a nephrologist (kidney Dr for Kribbs) and he felt the damage could be mitigated/repaired but I needed to loose a bunch of weight to get my BP & type 2 diabetes under control. His suggestion was weight loss surgery because he didn’t think my kidneys had the time it would take for me to loose the amount of weight I needed using just diet & exercise. So in talking with my PCP and surgeon we decided on a Sleeve Gastrectomy which basically removed 85% of my stomach which sounds extreme but it’s actually less complicated/invasive than a Gastric Bypass because it doesn’t reroute any your internal plumbing.

I had the surgery on 9/28 and I am down 65# and off of all my diabetes medicines with my glucose running about 103. I was also on 4 meds for my BP and even with those my BP would run 140/90. Since the surgery and weight loss it’s running 110/70 and I am going to the Dr tomorrow to get taken off of at least 2 of my BP meds and hopefully more in the future.

So far everything has gone really well, i was only in the hospital overnight. I was able to stop talking the pain meds the day after surgery, so the pain was pretty minimal. I just got off a liquid diet and I am now on soft foods and should be on a normal diet in a few weeks.

It hasn’t been easy and the surgery is just a tool but I feel I am well on my way to getting to where I need to be.