Thread: I don’t like little

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

I don’t like little

bitty pieces of meat that people try to pass off as deer steak. I cut mine in 4-6 ounce pieces and after a few trips through the tenderizer, it looks like this

EF2A92C7-21F1-4DE4-B668-9EFF711B2BC3.jpg

Now that is what deer steak is meant to look like. Hot grease gravy and biscuits are all that’s missing

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I think the problem is that a lot of people shoot little deer and can’t get any bigger cuts of meat out of them. Right, CD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Don't forget Artie the doe-slayer.

Actually I run the small pieces thru the tenderizer two or three at a time to get a bigger steak. I cut the loin in three inch sections and butterfly it before I tenderize it. They're so tender you have to use a spatula to flip them, you'll tear them up with a fork

Whats all this "tenderizing"??? I want my venison to taste and eat like venison. Not a moo cow...

Now I have done some deer steaks sous vide and *THAT* is the way to go. Cook it to what ever temperature you like then sear it on a red hot piece of steel for a minute
    on each side.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    I think the problem is that a lot of people shoot little deer and can’t get any bigger cuts of meat out of them. Right, CD?

One man’s little deer is another man’s tender deer.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Chicken-fried steak is one of my all-time favorites, but I’ll accept Country-fried steak as long as you’re doing the cooking! Add some drop biscuits, a batch of fried okra, a big ol’ glass of sweat tea and I’m in heaven.

Just brown up some butterflied steaks off the big loin and simmer them in stewed tomatoes for and hour or so. Mansomegood eats, and tender too.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Just so happens there was a couple of steaks too many to go in the bag. Funny how often that happens

8B749D6F-9502-4CD4-A6D6-681ACE26DC3A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chadwimc1 View Post
    Whats all this "tenderizing"??? I want my venison to taste and eat like venison. Not a moo cow...

Now I have done some deer steaks sous vide and *THAT* is the way to go. Cook it to what ever temperature you like then sear it on a red hot piece of steel for a minute
    on each side.
    I've gone the sous vide route and nearly ruined a perfectly good ribeye. Us troglodytes much prefer hot grease over luke warm liquid. I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough for such fancy grub

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I've gone the sous vide route and nearly ruined a perfectly good ribeye. Us troglodytes much prefer hot grease over luke warm liquid. I guess my palate isn't sophisticated enough for such fancy grub
    Uh... You *DO* know the water is not supposed to touch the meat being cooked, dontcha??? Like in a zip lock bag. Or even better, in a food saver vacuum bag.

Sous vide, finished in a carbon steel skill powered by a turkey fryer propane rig.

steak3.jpg

Yup. I tried it with both Beef and chicken. And veggies. There just wasn't enough difference for the time and trouble. No doubt healthier but healthy is way down on my list when it comes to food preparation

and it shows

Although Lynn has a “sophisticated palate” and I have no problem with a meal where my pinky never touches the teacup, deep down inside, my favorite eating is right there with you QA. I sometimes think a pile of salt, pepper, flour, an old Army boot and a big ol’ pot of hot grease would make a gourmet meal for me!