My step Dad and his Dad were both preachers, one a Southern and the other a Freewill Baptist. Of the two, I loved the Freewills the best but not because of doctrine or any of that. My grandpa’s church, like him, were mostly Choctaw farmers. All day ‘singings’ that were basically outdoor gospel concerts with dinner on the ground everyone sweating and fanning with funeral home fans and droves of kids underfoot. It was pretty cool. They were salt of the earth people. My stepDad was also in a gospel quartet so those were regular happenings for us.
And they believed in some stuff that still has me bewildered to this day. Once in a while in church someone would start babbling complete and utter random not understandable stuff. They’d spew it out. I never heard anyone say what it was they’d said. They were also fixated on the ‘end days’ and there werelots of predictions. The Catholics are the antichrist was popular. The World Council of Churches was the antichrist, that was a big one too. In the end days we’ll all get ids tattooed on us, and there’d be a ‘cashless society’. Those were very common prophesies.

Things haven’t changed much. We still believes strange stuff. Wonder why that is? Do we need that kind of fervent belief to keep us from killing one another? Or doesit make us kill one another? Another popular argument from those times was what you believed mattered to our survival. Now we just think whatever, man believe what you want.

Just scattershooting. I do that now instead of listening to preachers. I think I’ve heard enough from them.

BKB