Thread: Sunday Morning Thoughts

Sunday Morning Thoughts

My step Dad and his Dad were both preachers, one a Southern and the other a Freewill Baptist. Of the two, I loved the Freewills the best but not because of doctrine or any of that. My grandpa’s church, like him, were mostly Choctaw farmers. All day ‘singings’ that were basically outdoor gospel concerts with dinner on the ground everyone sweating and fanning with funeral home fans and droves of kids underfoot. It was pretty cool. They were salt of the earth people. My stepDad was also in a gospel quartet so those were regular happenings for us.
    And they believed in some stuff that still has me bewildered to this day. Once in a while in church someone would start babbling complete and utter random not understandable stuff. They’d spew it out. I never heard anyone say what it was they’d said. They were also fixated on the ‘end days’ and there werelots of predictions. The Catholics are the antichrist was popular. The World Council of Churches was the antichrist, that was a big one too. In the end days we’ll all get ids tattooed on us, and there’d be a ‘cashless society’. Those were very common prophesies.

Things haven’t changed much. We still believes strange stuff. Wonder why that is? Do we need that kind of fervent belief to keep us from killing one another? Or doesit make us kill one another? Another popular argument from those times was what you believed mattered to our survival. Now we just think whatever, man believe what you want.

Just scattershooting. I do that now instead of listening to preachers. I think I’ve heard enough from them.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I was emersed in religion as a kid. My grandfather (my dad's dad) was a preacher on the weekends, and a "traveling salesman" during the week. Go figure. He and my grandmother had 6 sons (and one daughter). Three of the sons (my uncles) became preachers and had their own churches. At a very early age, I was in Sunday School every Sunday before the main church sermon. I was not liked by many of my Sunday School teachers because of the questions I'd ask. You know, like how did Noah fit all those animals on that little ark? Where did they keep all the food? What did they do with all the poop? Why weren't there any dinosaurs onboard and how would they have room for them anyway? Once my knowledge progressed, I questioned how the earth could only be 6000 years old. Then the questions I had about Adam and Eve about got me thrown out because when I was about 5, I wanted to marry my 1st cousin, but it was explained to me that's a no-no. I didn't understand. When my next door neighbor's older sister got pregnant, her parents whisked her off to some unknown place to have the baby and put it up for adoption (this was the 50's). I was totally confused and didn't know why the family was so upset with her. My neighbor friend (her brother) tried to explain it to me. He was an older kid (8 I think) and knew MUCH more about the world than I, but when I repeated the story in my Sunday School class and asked why Mary didn't get in trouble, my teacher had had enough of my questions.

Luckily my dad rescued me. I spent the rest of my formative years spending every Sunday at the drag races and carrying my dad's trophies home.

To this day, I really don't think my Sunday School teacher missed me much.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I remember getting in trouble for saying someone was an ass. The ‘its in the Bible’ defense was not accepted.

bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I think I remember something similar when I told my sister to go to Hell once. Heck, I thought I'd remembered being taught in church that was where I'd be headed if I didn't straighten up my act. Church was really ambiguous to me as a kid. Very confusing. Still is actually.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I just got back from church so I've been too busy condemning all you heathens to deal with this.

Maybe later

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    I just got back from church so I've been too busy condemning all you heathens to deal with this.

Maybe later
    Hebrews 12:11
    No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

I hope your faith and belief in God isn’t anchored to a church, much less a Baptist one.

But what do I know, I’m just an Independent Baptist preachers son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a curious human thing that we need to identify people and tribes as 'other than us' in order to understand who we are.

I've come to realize that the exact opposite is what is true.

I do think the world is opening up to a different way of viewing these things. All of our dumb asses will be physically long gone but I honestly think we're trending in the right direction.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Its also been a long held popular theory that the further we get away from physical prowess and when basic human values become guidelines rather than rules, that we are doomed to fail. The usual examples given are (enter name of any empire here). Specifically, the demise of the Roman empire is usually blamed on the demise of values. Same with the Persian empire created by Cyrus.
    We seem to be leaning more towards Rome ourselves.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

You may be right, weren't the Romans considered "deplorables"?

Debauchery was prolly closer.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

So... fuck less and we bring the human race back from the brink?

Next, please!
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    So... fuck less and we bring the human race back from the brink? Next, please!
    I think I’d prefer debauchery.

You’re not listening to all thewarnings we were given by our parents and grandparents! Cultural wisdom is a real deal.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

All this really begs the question as to the REAL reason Nero kept fiddling, doesn't it?