Thread: Hey Jim

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar

Hey Jim

I know you don't spend much time fishing down there, but do you know anyone that fishes for those peacock bass and other cichlids in Florida? I'm thinking real hard about a trip to Florida just for those types of fish, but I don't want to hire a guide if I can help it.

Dang B/S, the only guy I knew has moved away and we've lost contact, He used to work for Bass Pro, then when Cabela's came in, they started transferring him all over the country. Sometime during all that, he went through a nasty divorce and we just finally lost contact. We have some around here, but generally, the farther south you go, the better. I'm talking like the general Miami'ish area. Where did you plan on going? Or are you totally open? I have an attorney friend in Tampa who is a partner in a large law firm and does quite a bit of fishing. He's more into salt water, but he may "know somebody who knows somebody". He stays pretty busy, but I've known him over 30 years (was in his wedding) and have no problem getting in touch. Maybe he can point me in the right direction. Do you have a timeframe yet?

I do have a buddy who USED to go after Peacock Bass from time to time, I think around Ft. Lauderdale. (?) He passed away suddenly 2-years ago and I really miss that dufebutt! I might be able to run his sister down and see if she knows the buddy he used to fish with down that way and maybe get a lead or two.

He was a total nut and is sorely missed.

Lance.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Jim, don't go to any trouble. I'm more in the research phase of what my options are right now more than anything. If you had someone that you knew was already avidly out there fishing for these odd fish that would be different. No need to bother anyone about it.

Ok, sorry Troy. TBH, I've never even seen a peacock bass personally, just heard about them. From what I understand, they're very sensitive to water temp and that's why the farther south you go, the better. They're not native fish and I think they were introduced here years ago. Can't remember why. Probably to eat some other non-native species.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I know its not what you are looking for BS, but I hired a gent to take us flounder gigging at night when we were last there just because it sounded fun and I had never heard of anyone else ever doing it. Though the flounder were pretty much non-existent, we quickly switched out our gigging forks for little nets and commenced to catch us a pile of blue crab. Fun time for sure.

Bwana way to save the adventure and turn it into something fun!