Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: As most of you know

Before you can kill a person, you first need to make them less human than you. At least that’s one theory.

And we still teach that during WWIi that the fanatacism of Japenese civilians played a big role in their actions. Another word for fierce nationalism, but it means they don’t really know what they’re doing because of their fanaticism. At least that’s the theory!

Is it okay to say gung ho?
    bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Gung Ho?? I don’t think I ever knew that gook. Was he related to Don Ho?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post

Is it okay to say gung ho?
    bKB
    I doubt it. Some overly woke person will probably says it’s “cultural misappropriation”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Gung Ho?? I don’t think I ever knew that gook. Was he related to Don Ho?
    I think it originated with the old ‘China marines’ and was adopted bythe 2nd Marine Raiders as their battle cry.
    I learnedthat from reading about Killer McCoy in all of those WEB Griffith military novels.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    My first jiu-jitsu tournament was in Tulsa. I was lucky enough to make it into the finals but against what seemed like a pretty good wrestler. I wrestled years before, and my buddy said "let's show this kid how to wrestle."

We start, and are probably, only 30 seconds in and he hit me with a "jap whizzer." I remember it being like slow motion, ass over tea kettle, and thinking this isn't good. I scrambled back to my feet...this was a mistake as I would have been better on my back...only to get subbed by a standing guillotine.

Fast forward 15 years later. In in Seattle at a Gracie Barra gym and there doing takedowns for king of the mat. I hit a kid with the same whizzer. Coach stops us and wants to see it again, and asks about it. I say it's a "jap whizzer" very awkward silence then he pulls me aside and explains I should just say whizzer....which is weird to me because a whizzer is a completely different move. But that was the first time I knew jap was a bad term, I mean I had never used it other than to describe a wrestling move