Thread: It's been a good run

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

It's been a good run

but it's just about at the end. I divided up all my guns between the three boys today and I'll start on the ammunition tomorrow. No, nothing terminal except old age but I don't have a place to hunt anymore and to be honest, the desire to either. All I'm keeping is a twenty gauge pump, a 22 and the 257 Roberts just in case and a couple of 22 pistols for easy access. Broke my heart to see the old savage side by side headed toward Indiana. I've been blessed to be a part of the greatest generation of hunting in the 20th century but it's time to hand reins over to my prodigy.

God has been good to this old reprobate, maybe He'll continue to bless me with a few more years of good fishing
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Try to think of the change to fishing as evolving.

It helps ease the pain.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I went through this a few years ago. At first I really struggled. However I don't even think about hunting anymore. I'm too busy planning my next fishing trip.

Been there, done that as far as hunting is concerned. I gave my son a few guns and sold the rest to pay bills after a long-term hospitalization. In the meantime, all of my hunting partners have passed away. That’s one curse of getting old. I struggled a littie bit when deer or turkey season came around, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected, then it got to the point I didn’t miss it at all. I have many fond memories that can never be taken away and that is all I need these days.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I stopped most if Nmy hunting when the kids were young. Just feeling now like I might have the time again. Hunting has changed a lot, and if you don't have the $ to by land or lease it's a lot harder these days. I've basically decided at this point a few guided trips is the way to go until I have more time.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I still hunt *a lot*.. but I bought and traded guns for many years.. I'd probably accumulated 60+. Son and Sil didn't want me to sell any so I said, "Boys - buy a couple safes." Kept the ones I shoot and the "heirloom" stuff from my Dad, Grandpas and Great Grandpas.. Sent the rest of them packing.. They are as happy a puppy with two peters and I got them out from underfoot. When I did this last year I made the comment, "If someone were to say - here's money - go buy a gun" I wouldn't be able to come up with anything I need. I've bought 4 since then..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    When it comes to guns, I passed “needs” and into “wants” years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Speaking of guns. I may not hunt much anymore, but I'm still buying firearms as much or more than ever. It's just the types of guns I buy and their purpose has changed. I really enjoy shooting handguns these days.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    Went through that same thing over the past 5 years, each kid got a nice deer rifle, #3 got more because he's a lefty like his Dad. Then the each got a couple of nice shotguns, one for hunting one for trap shooting. I'm down to 3 deer rifles, 6 shotguns, one 22, one M1 Garand, M1 Carbine.
    My biggest stash is Handguns, about 10 years ago I started collecting (or rather gathering) Colt SAA. It's not a cheap hobby as many are worth $2000 and up. I have 10 right now. I have two nickel plated engraved and cased SAA that are promised to my two grandsons, others will go to the boys, even though they are not gun nuts like me, I tell them that maybe a new son-in-law or even their grand kids would love to own a 150 year old Colt someday.
    I do go out deer hunting on opening day with #1 & #3, and last fall went on a Veterans pheasant hunt put on by Wounded Warriors, and First Responders, perfect day doing my favorite hunting with #3. Planning on it again this fall.

Here's my problem: Not trying to brag (well maybe a little) but some of my jewels.

$14,000 custom engraved Kolar Trap Gun
    $3,800 custom Colt 1911 Gold Cup National Match w/ Ivory grips
    $4,500 custom Colt SAA, tuned, nickeled plated with one piece Ivory grips
    $3,200 1904 SAA, Silver plated, engraved with Samber Stag Grips.
    Last edited by jb; 05-10-2022 at 08:16 PM.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Man those are some pretty shootin irons!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    Very Nice, jb.. I would guess those last 4 would be comparable in value to the 40 +I just gave awayyyy..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    That is some seriously FINE hardware you've got yourself there jb!

Ummm, Bubba .... I'm up for adoption ya' know? It'll seem a bit weird, but I'd have no real problem calling you Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    It'll seem a bit weird, but I'd have no real problem calling you Daddy.
    I bet you say that to all the guys

Only if they’ll give me a pile’o nice guns. I ain’t proud.

JB, that is a stunning collection of handguns. It's not likely I will ever own a Colt. I'd like one, but the cost of just one can buy me two or three other quality handguns. I just can't get past the math on that one. With that said, if the right opportunity ever came along I would buy a Colt.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    "They say God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.”
    Charles Martin,
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

JB my dad shoots a lot of sporting clays, and some big national events like the US Open..I wonder if you two will ever run into each other. He's shot Masters class, but I think currently shooting AA. He shoots a Kriegkoff.