Thread: Subway

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Subway

Yesterday was a busy workday between back2back meetings and getting our house ready to sell. Due to the busy workload I decided to just go out and grab a subway sandwich for lunch, we don't eat out often so I had no idea what was coming next. I ordered a 12" cold cut combo and got to the checkout line. The nice lady checking me out said $14.56. I kind of just stared blankly then managed to get out "oh, i just got a sandwich no drink, chips or anything else". I think I was expecting an oh sorry, yes its $7.00. Nope, the sandwich alone was $14.

On a similar note I am selling the RV and it appears that I'll make money on an RV I've owned for 2 years...If I would have told you 2 years ago that vehicles would be an investment vehicle you would have called me crazy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I feel your pain. I went with my wife and youngest son out to have Chinese food last week. It wasn't a fancy place or anything. Total was $62.00! I could afford it, but it was a shock. I won't going there again anytime soon though. What really killed me though this week is that I had my oil changed in my 4Runner, then stopped by the gas station to fill a half empty tank. Between the oil change and the gas the total was $120.00, that's pretty crazy. I don't know about the rest of y'all but my summer travel plans will be severely cut back if those gas and food prices don't start trending down. I'd hate to depend on the tourist industry for my living because I guarantee travel will be down this summer. Not so sure how many of the restaurants that survived Covid will survive this inflation either.

"I'd hate to depend on the tourist industry for my living because I guarantee travel will be down this summer."

I'm in this boat. We have 4 airbnbs and we are seeing a bit of a slowdown. Some of that I would attribute to a Covid surge that is slowing down, but some is def high fuel/flights.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Yep. It's a tough time to be buying.... anything, I guess.

Worst kind of inflation, from the supply outward. Be different if it's source was employees with the clout to demand higher wages. But it's not. And it won't be.

I'm just a simple engineer over here. My opinion means less than many out there. But it looks like we've got a lot of cans that have been kicked as far as possible lined up with bad decisions and policy mistakes. Contrary to most I don't blame the current administration alone. This was decades in the making even if there were some monumentally ignorant decisions made in the past year that broke the dam so to speak.

The world changed in the past couple years, and a lot even in the past couple months. My blood pressure soars to the heavens thinking about the strategic mistakes made by the US. But it is what it is. Reality. But that does not mean that we cannot make things radically worse with more bad decisions.

Case in point: Everyone and their dog knows about the fertilizer shortage and cost increase. Everyone knows that there are some pretty dire predictions being made. When the raw materials started soaring in cost the ammonia and fertilizer plants here in the US started warning that their costs were so high that they could not continue to operate. This was back in late last year. So in response we did..... nothing.

And many critical US plants shut down production. Making a bad situation worse.

After all the the Trillions USD we shoveled into the financial sector in the past decade we couldn't even bring ourselves to temporarily subsidize a critical portion of the food supply. When a few Billion USD here and there would have been a godsend. And now we have a lot of poor people looking hunger in the eye. To me that is more than an outrage it is outright sinful.

I think we need to take a hard look at our decision making apparatus in this country.

You and Dan Hagerty.
    lol Bill!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

sad to say I had to look up Dan Haggerty

Say it ain’t so. You’re too young for grizzly Adams?
    Viva Renaldo!

I remember Grizzly Adams just not the actor's name. It was released in 1974 so it was one year before I was born.

Kids! Sheeesh!
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain