Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: those crazy Catholics

those crazy Catholics

No offense to any resident Catholics here but holy hell. This Pope thing is blowing my mind. I have read numerous stories concerning the debate over what he will wear in retirement and what he will call himself. This is insanity people. Retire, move to Florida and let Thump put your Pope stuff on ebay.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Buckrub's Avatar
    I always wondered what the "Holy See" sees?

Sorry, I just don't get any one human being that much better than us, all based on nothing more than a vote from some other humans..........especially on such a total misread and misunderstanding of Matthew 16:18. To put all their eggs into that basket, and totally ignore I Timothy 4:2-4 is beyond my ability to comprehend.

Such pomp and circumstance.........as if it is all somehow meaningful! Poppycock and balderdash.
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

From an observational and noticer perspective around all religions that I come across, read about, learn about, experience or otherwise experience in some way. Catholicism can be VERY interesting.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Len, there hasn't been a living former Pope in 600 years, so it's kind of a unique situation.

Bucky, your anti-Catholic bias is showing. Just a question, when was the denomination that you belong to founded and what denomination did it split off from, or who founded it? I would think that a church with a history dating back two millennium might just be a little closer to the church Jesus started than one that is maybe two centuries old. And bible verses are just like statistics, they can be selectively used to support or reject just about any position.
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 02-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Deppity, I was referring to Catholocism in general. And I mean no disrespect to you'ns Catholics, either. I haven't followed much of the Pope silliness to be honest. I know the Kraut sure stood things on their heads by retiring. Have they even started the selection process and watching for the colored smoke yet?

I've attended more Catholic services than any other religion, including being baptized Episcopal.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Not yet, probably not starting until the end of next week from what they are saying. No disrespect taken from your comments. Going to be interesting as usual to see whom is chosen. Don't be surprised if the next Pope is from either Africa or Latin America.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Mine started AD 33.

Yours has history about 600 a.d. at best.

besides, if you can't make your religion congruent to the Bible, it ain't the original one, is it? And just cause YOU say it is old, don't make it old.

Bite me. Well, that wasn't very Christian like was it?

And you don't get to dismiss the Holy Scripture by saying it's too hard to understand. No it ain't. Revelations 22:18-19 says you better be careful, dude!
    WARNING - Due to the rising costs of ammunition, warning shots will no longer be given.

I know a few Buddhists that would chuckle at this thread or Taoists...

Bucky, you're the one using the edited version of the bible. If you look, the Guttenburg bible matches the Catholic bible, not the version that you're using. Even first editions of the King James Bible contain the seven books dropped from subsequent versions of the Protestant bible which the Catholic bible still contains.

I was not dismissing scripture, but stating that by using carefully selected verses, each of us could quote it in a manner that would support our position and call into question the others.

Len, now you're getting insulting.

And Bucky, I cannot keep up with you in a scripture quoting contest.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Len, there hasn't been a living former Pope in 600 years, so it's kind of a unique situation.

Bucky, your anti-Catholic bias is showing. Just a question, when was the denomination that you belong to founded and what denomination did it split off from, or who founded it? I would think that a church with a history dating back two millennium might just be a little closer to the church Jesus started than one that is maybe two centuries old. And bible verses are just like statistics, they can be selectively used to support or reject just about any position.

No disrespect to anyone.... But this doesn't mean a thing to me.

Taken literally, you'd have to pick apart the New Testament pretty thoroughly to make a case for Catholicism.

WHERE oh WHERE does a group of humans vote and annoint another human God!?!,!

I'd say that I hate to copy Bucky but I don't.

It's insanity

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    Bucky, you're the one using the edited version of the bible. If you look, the Guttenburg bible matches the Catholic bible, not the version that you're using. Even first editions of the King James Bible contain the seven books dropped from subsequent versions of the Protestant bible which the Catholic bible still contains.

I was not dismissing scripture, but stating that by using carefully selected verses, each of us could quote it in a manner that would support our position and call into question the others.
    Yeah.... Yeah.... But it was all written hunnerts of years before the first pope.

Sorry Deppity! That was pretty low hanging fruit.

Role of the Pope aside, I think it's still really interesting. But I think all religions are pretty interesting.

I remember when John Paul came thru the US my parents (both raised southern baptist, and converted to Episcopalian), went to see him in Baltimore. He walked right by them and when they came home, the joy and enthusiasm they felt was something I'll always remember.

I'll use any Bible you want, man. But you have to Believe it, not just let some guy with a funny collar tell you what it means. When you stand in Eternity, he won't be around to help you. It's up to you.

And saying "well, anyone can twist it all to mean anything they want" is a copout. It does mean something. You (and I) can figure it out. You can't just dismiss it because you don't like the potential outcome. There is a truth. You can find it, I can find it, anyone can find it. It's up to us.

Or you can believe a lot of folks, including some on here, that it's just all nonsense..........because THEY don't understand it, they think no one can........

Is there stuff in there that I don't fully understand? Yep, of course. But the stuff that defines where we'll spend Eternity is not that hard to decipher. Those that think it is probably haven't read it much.

These are my opinions. Not meant to disparage anyone. The sincerity of folks is not in question.

My feelings on "organized religion" are.......well, I'm still trying to figger that out.

The Baptists say the Catholics are going to Hell, the Catholics say the Jews are going to Hell, the Jews say the Protestants are going to Hell, the Protestants say the Buddhists are going to Hell....and on and on and on....

I figure if a man has a relationship with God...in whatever clan he may choose...that cannot be a bad thing.
    The way I see it, if I can talk with God.... and have a relationship with Him, then that's all I need. There was a LONG time that I was angry with Him.....but we've patched things up and I talk with Him daily now....and THANK Him for all he is doing for me. I consider myself to be a VERY blessed man. God has been VERY good to me....and I try to spread that "goodness" around to others around me.
    My "disability" does not make me "disabled".

Cancer Sucks!
    http://www.mdanderson.org

That's the first step, Niner.

Jesus said in John 15:14 that if we Love Him, we'll keep his commandments. Thus, I conclude He has commandments. If He has 'em, I figure I have to figure out what they are. The only place I know to look is His Word, the Bible. If you disregard His Word entirely, and ignore it, then all the feelings in the world won't do much for you. Acts Chapter 9 talks about the Apostle Paul on his way down a road to do what HE thought was God's work...........killing these Evil Christians (he was a Jew and a teacher and Big Muckety)...........and God struck him down and set him straight. He was of a good conscience, doing what he thought was right.....but God said "Nope, you're doing it wrong". So good conscience isn't enough.

These are hard words for many folks to accept. I know that. I mean no ill will to anyone. But I am under a requirement to tell the Gospel (Good News) to any that I can. I have no other choice.

I know it's seldom accepted. And I pray I don't alienate anyone. And on top of that, I'm a pretty big hypocrite, being the Biggest Sinner that Ever Lived.........and I have little justification to 'preach' to anyone. Yet, I have to, where the opportunity presents itself.

No worries, we all believe what we believe for a variety of different reasons.

Lucia and I went on a "Church Search" a few years ago and hit just about every kind of christian church you could imagine a couple times each. By FAR, without exception, the most welcoming and accepting were the serious bible preaching types but everything the folks, while really nice, seemed pretty lockstep, stepfordish which turned us off.

The guy I shoot a lot of weddings with is a pale white, 6'5" shaved bald, 250lb huge ass guy. He has been going to a rural all black baptist church for over 20 years. He must stand out there like a freak. They sure do love and accept him, though. Ima go with him one Sunday this year. I think I may have been missing out on something cool.

Arty, no Catholics make the Pope a god. If you truly believe that Catholics think the Pope is God, then you don't know much about Catholicism.

Bucky, you said that I can't just dismiss it because I may not like the outcome, but isn't that exactly what you are doing?

No, I don't think so. How so?

I read the Bible, I accept the outcome that it says will occur for Unbelievers thereof...........I weigh the Scripture against man's words to see who is right and who is wrong........

How am I ignoring the outcome? (and I didn't mean YOU, it was a general comment of folks who don't like the Bible, because they don't like what it says about where they will end up)

Now... from the perspective of somone who has shot a wedding in every possible religious venue (except a mosque) I can tell you the following as truth based on my first hand experience.

Catholic priests are about 75% assholes.
    Rabbi's and jews are completely wrapped up in their own misery. Move on people.
    Baptists are showmen
    Hindus are welcoming and appreciate outsiders
    Sikhs are nice but there's a quiet racism there
    Born again types are pretty damn cultish

The rest of them are generally the same

There are exceptions to all the above but that's pretty much my truth.

Catholic Doctrine teaches that the Pope speaks infallibly if he speaks "Ex Cathedra" (From the Chair). He does that when he makes assertations about doctrine that affects the entire Catholic church. I don't think any Pope has spoken Ex Cathedra in some time.............but I'm not sure.

That is not the same as "being God", though Catholics do believe (many do) that the Pope is "Jesus Christ on Earth"......and Jesus said he was God. So...............

I realize that most Catholics know little about Scripture. This goes back to the Middle Ages when the Catholic Church chained the Bible to the pulpit so the laity (common man) couldn't get to it to read it. This was way after Guttenberg in 1455 of course. I just do NOT need any man, Priest or Preacher, to tell me what it says. I can read. I am required to read it, abide by it, and I will be judged by it, not by what some man tells me it says.

Not true. It was compiled about 400 years after the first Pope, the apostle Peter.

Peter was no more the first Pope than I am the first King.

I Corinthians 9:5 says Peter had a wife.

The verse Catholics use to claim Peter was what the Church was built on doesn't even use the same Greek word for Peter as it does Rock. Two totally different words.

Plus, 1 Timothy 4:3 says there are heretics coming soon that will "forbid to marry, and abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth." Who does that describe?

Bucky, it wasn't until many many years later that priests were not to marry.

As for the other quote, I have know idea and can't make a guess without seeing what context it is said in. By the way, I know a lot more vegetarian Adventists than I do Catholics, so maybe it's talking about them. :wiggle

It's getting late. Off to bed.

I think it means that Catholics were forbidden from eating meat on Friday, and it predicted that they would come around later..........and they did. They are the only ones I know that forbid eating meats at all, and also forbid marrying among their 'priests'. Who else could it mean?

And why does it matter WHEN the Priests were forbidden to marry? The verse says that heretics will arise that will do that. It doesn't predict exactly when. Just that it would happen, and it did.

Same here.

Love ya, bro.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands)
    Does this thread count towards this weeks religious learning??
    I get more religion at this GoodHuntjng site, then I'd get if I attended a church!