Thread: Hidehunter

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Hidehunter

Being the guru of all things panfish, I was curious as to what your opinion was of live scoping and spider rigging for crappie
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) HideHunter's Avatar
    I see it two ways.. If you are going out to enjoy the day and catch a few fish to eat... forget the live scope and the spider rigging.. I've done a little spider rigging with some guys who were good at it... it's a ballet.. When I do it - it's more like a bar room brawl. Live scope - I can see the attraction much like I see the attraction of a Vexilar on the ice. A few years ago - if you wanted to be competitive on the professional crappie circuit - you'd better be able to spider rig. Now - if you want to be competitive - you'd better have live scope and be able to use it..
    If you turn a dog loose to hunt – you’d better to be ready to deal with what he trees.

The local guides around here might be making as much money teaching anglers how to use a livescope as they do fishing. Which is good as far as I’m concerned.Now if they could just teach manners…..

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I'm not a fishing purist or snob by any stretch but I don't like it. Skill and experience have been replaced by money and laziness in my opinion. Kinda like a canned hunt to me. I won't say that I'd never go but I've passed on several opportunities. However, I'm not such an elitist that I won't eat fish caught spider rigging but I will sit in haughty disdain when I dip them in tartar sauce.

I guess I belong to the old school.

And I may need to grease the wheels on my buggy and try sliced bread one day as well
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

When I was 14, I got a TR-VII fish attractor for my birthday. Was essentially a little battery powered thing that made clicking noises like a crawdad with a place to put fish food pellets.

My Dad said he thought it was cheating. I guess you and him are of a like mind.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I fished with dynamite in the Gulf of Thailand back in the 70’s. Was that cheating?

(The armory wouldn’t give me any extra hand grenades.)
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I fished with dynamite in the Gulf of Thailand back in the 70’s. Was that cheating?

(The armory wouldn’t give me any extra hand grenades.)
    Not in Arkansas it ain’t. Nor TA 312s.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha ha! When I got back to the States, I joined the reserves. The closest thing they could find to my MOS was some sort of communications MOS (don’t remember what it was). I was in charge of setting up communications wherever we went. (Remember the field switchboard?) Of course, I had plenty of experience with the TA-312 and prolly made elebenty bazillion splices in the WD-1. ‘Couldn’t tell you how many suckers fell for the old, “Hey, hold this wire while I test this phone!”

In case you find yourself in a military trivia contest:

TA = Telephone Apparatus
    3 = three power supplies
    1 = one crank
    2 = two batteries

I worked in a mobile tech control, 62 van. My boss’s favorite trick was to slip the end of a patch cord into your fatigue pocket and then slyly stand there cranking the 312.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Once in the reserves, when we’d set up camp, the first thing I had to do was to set up one of these beasts ….

6F96322F-3DE7-4806-8FE9-9BFE8E0252A1.jpg

…. Then I’d have to start rolling out the spools of WD-1 to the various TA-312’s for the mucky-mucks to communicate with. Ahhh, the good ol’ days of modern communications!��

Ernestine!
    Viva Renaldo!

Albert Einstein

How did you prevent the ones in that first pic from sliding off the table?

Now THAT’S a mess o’feesh!

I didn’t have anything to do with the fish in the first pic, that’s son #1.
    I caught the ones in the bottom picture
    Last edited by quercus alba; 06-23-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    Albert Einstein