Thread: Summer Makes a Comeback

Summer Makes a Comeback

We’ve had probably 6-7” of rain the past 7-8 days. Every morning there have been t-storms and thoe ground was saturated days ago. The good news is western Oklahoma has finally busted out of their long drought.
    Nows its gonna get hot as balls.
    Bring it on! Ready for summer!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

We're just getting into our usual Summer weather pattern. Hot until mid-afternoon, then a 1/2 hour thunderstorm to cool things down a bit (but raise the humidity from 95% to 99.9%), then sunshine 'til dark.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Cold as shit here, and rainy...Yay PNW!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Finally got some sun today. Grass is a foot high all around the property so now I gotta cut the damm stuff. Looking hard at condo living.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Looks like that really hot stuff in the southwest right now is headed out way. I really hate to see anything over 80 so I'm not doing backflips of joy.

Weather is a cool thing to study. Wish I knew more about how it works. I remember when Doppler radar first showed up and I saw how weather systems moved around: So that's how it works? Huh... Never would have guessed.

Guess it's time to spray my garden before this dry spell hits.

Will

Ha! Willie, your post reminded me of a class I took in school. It was actually a weather class and for some reason, I really enjoyed it. I remember quite a bit of what I learned and with today's satellite images and related tools, I understand a LOT of what I see on the weather maps and can almost predict the weather patterns before the weather dude explains it. It's a pretty neat subject if you're into that sort of thing. I never thought of anything like that being of interest to me, but once I got involved, it's one of those subjects I enjoyed studying.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    Looks like that really hot stuff in the southwest right now is headed out way. I really hate to see anything over 80 so I'm not doing backflips of joy.

Weather is a cool thing to study. Wish I knew more about how it works. I remember when Doppler radar first showed up and I saw how weather systems moved around: So that's how it works? Huh... Never would have guessed.

Guess it's time to spray my garden before this dry spell hits.

Will
    Haha that brings back some memories. My step Dad worked in local television for a while when I was a kid. He was a news anchor but started as the weather man. In those days, he DREW his own weather maps with fronts and temps and the whole enchilada. Weather radar existed but they hadn’t yet put it on the screen. He graduated to stick on symbols and such before he got promoted to news anchor.
    He went back to radio and any time there was a storm, we jumped in the family car and headed to the station. And read the weather reports off the teletype machine. Folks gotta be warned!

I think everyone in my family thought of themselves as amateur meterologists because of those times.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Coolest, wettest June here on the coast since we moved here in 2005. Garden looks terrible but the friggen grass loves it. I need a herd of goats (or buffalo).

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    We are looking at temps in the mid 90’s for the next week or so with heat advisories because of the humidity. Had a hell of a storm go through last night. Can’t remember ever seeing lightning like that. Wouldn’t be surprised if it caused a few seizures since it looked like strobe lights.
    High winds too with lots of trees and limbs down which caused major power outages. We were without power for about 6 1/2 hours and a lot of people still don’t have it back yet.

The Fort Wayne airport, which is about 45 miles from me, measured a 98 MPH wind gust. That is category 2 hurricane level! Don’t see that much around here outside of a tornado.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."