Thread: Lithium-ion Batteries

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar

Lithium-ion Batteries

Another fire and subsequent death (5 this year in Vancouver alone) caused by an exploding lithium-ion battery in an e-bike. Dangerous tech? Have seen video of these battery fires and they are INTENSE and impossible to extinguish.

Wow! Any idea if it was a particular brand (bike or battery)?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Lithium fires are tough. The lithium reacts with water and produces hydrogen gas which fuels the fire.

We used to have a company locally that was a large producer of wheels including magnesium ones for the auto industry. The fire department had to make sure they had plenty of a special foam to extinguish any fires there because of the reaction between burning magnesium and water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    No mention of any particular brand being worse or better than the others. I think the problem is that the technology is fragile. Any damage to a battery, no matter how slight, can cause them to combust, especially under charge. Seen vids of cell phones exploding in peoples pockets, car fires, laptops, e-bikes etc. Going to be a bigger problem as more e-machines are used.

That’s some scary shit!
    Noteto self: phone to back pocket
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Lithium huh? My son has been given a project at work trying to extract lithium from waste water. He’s been given the nickname “the lithium guy.”

Next time I see him I’ll try to get some insight on the subject
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein