Thread: Johnboy

Johnboy

I realize it’s still pretty early on your side of the world, but I’m just wondering if you’ve had a chance to check out that LTV unit yet?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Yup. Had a look yesterday aft. Pretty rig but decided not to pull the trigger. The interior layout just wouldn't work for us with the awkward bed layout. For the $$$ they want it needs to be better. Anyway, decided to pass on another RV and put money into house renos instead. For now, anyway.

Ha! The opposite of me. I paid the house off in 2019, then started saving for some renovations. I’ve always wanted a camper, then decided I’d better shit or get off the pot before I get too old. I figured the roof doesn’t leak, the a/c and plumbing works, so what else do I need? I threw caution to the wind, stole the savings and bought the motorhome. Probably not the smartest move I ever made in my life, but you only live once.

Dumb RV question: What’s the going rate for rentals? Seems like that might be the ticket for some folks.
    Something like a monthly or partial year deal.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Rented a motorhome many years ago but haven't looked at rentals since. Did a quick check and it seems that you would be looking at $5k+/week. Adds up quick but certainly cheaper than buying if you only need it once in a while.

I've had an RV of some sort since forever till we sold the trailer a couple of years ago. We found 'camping' was just getting too busy. Too many people and not enough space. Hard to imagine in a country that is mostly 'space' but there you go. I guess we just got tired of the aggravation and congestion. Maybe the fuel situation will keep more people at home.

Yep, I’ve rented 4-5 times over the years, but the last time was over 30 years ago, so I’m totally clueless as to what they’d go for nowadays. I’ve been contacted by a few companies already, wanting to know if I’d like to rent my unit. Many people do that and companies handle all thE crap with unit for a fee. No way in the world I’d ever consider anything like that though. These things have just gotten too complicated and sophisticated these days to let some clueless Joe Schmoe load the wife, kids and dog up in my baby and rumble off down the road. I had no clue there was such a learning curve to these things. They aren’t tents on wheels.

A modern rv is like a space ship on wheels now. Lots of systems that get expensive if you screw them up. I would never even loan my rig to a friend unless I took it to a location and set it up for them never mind renting to a complete stranger.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    The rental RVs I've seen are very basic and used really hard. they typically have some issues from the hard wear and tear. I hunted with a group of guys that rented one in SC and drove it to SD...They dreaded the drive home because it pulled so hard to the left.

My neighbour was widowed a couple years ago and left with a big class A that she knows little about. Decided she needed new coach batts so had her neighbour on other side swap them out for her. Problem was he reconnected them backwards and blew every fuse in the coach. Took another guy who was an electrician days to figure out what had happened and replace all the fuses. She was lucky that was all it took to fix. Could have been much worse.

My buddy has a 37-foot Keystone Outback (Toy hauler) and had a big covered pad built on his property to store it. He wanted it all completed before he bought his new unit. Once the cover was completed, he had an electrician install a 50-amp service so that he could keep it plugged in while in storage. He went to the dealer, brought his new unit home, pulled it into its new digs, plugged it in …. and immediately, the fireworks started. Come to find out, the electrician installed a 50-amp/220-volt outlet! (Instead of 110v) Luckily it just fried his converter (inverter?), but he didn’t mention the f’up to the dealer, so they replaced it under warranty! He got REALLY lucky on a brand new unit he’d never even camped in!

Haha, this reminds me of the McManus story about wiring up trailer lights. I keep a McManus book on my nightstand and sometimes read one before bed. Julie always knows what I’m reading from my lols.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!