Thread: Whale shit!

Whale shit!

We received a call this evening that Lynn's brother has passed away! The guy was smart as a whip and I've known him since he was 24-25 years old. He went to work for Toyota (Lexus) as a Mechanical Engineer right out of college and stayed with them for over 35 years, then retired. But, he's one of those guys who doesn't know how to relax and as soon as he retired, he went back to school for an MBA, then started teaching college courses. His wife travels for her business and was in Colorado. They always stay in very close contact when she's traveling. She couldn't get ahold of him all day yesterday and was concerned, so she flew home today. She found him dead in their home. He's 62 years old and had no known illnesses. Non-smoker, non-drinker ... no clue what happened. We just got off the phone with her and the police and coroner just left the house and have removed his body. Of course, she's a basket case right now. Nobody contacted Lynn's mom as we wanted to wait until Lynn's brother could get there to be with mom and let her know personally. She's in her late 80's and healthy as an ox. This is going to devastate her. As soon as we got the news, we broke camp and rushed straight home. I'm about to try finding a flight to L.A. for tomorrow (or Saturday at the latest). We have some laundry and packing to do, as well as cancel a few upcoming doctor appointments, etc. I just backed in the driveway, plugged the motorhome in to the garage and we'll simply leave the refrigerator and freezer packed with food. We're not even gonna take the time to unload after a week of camping ... we'll just handle it when we get back home. Probably be gone about 2 weeks. This really sucks. Lynn's just devastated.

I really liked Ricky and we had a lot in common. I always enjoyed talking with him and getting the inside skinny on whatever projects he was working on. He could drive any factory car he wanted, but usually drove one of their hydrogen cars and really loved the thing. We cruised around in it a few times and it's pretty danged cool tbh.

Anyway, he was in Tampa for a conference a few years back and we took a couple pics. RIP Ricky, you will definitely be missed.

rick me 2.jpg rick lynn 2.jpg
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    62 is way to young to go. Travel safe my friend.....
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Sorry to hear it, Jim for the both of you. Safe travels, buddy.
    BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Condolences to you and Lynn

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Wow, he was still a young man! My condolences to all that knew him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    My sympathies Jim.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Sorry to hear this news Jim. Condolences to you both.

Sorry to hear that, Jim.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Jim and Lynn, so sorry to hear this news.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    You're right qa, that is pretty young. And w/o any health problems? What a shame. Sorry to hear it Jim.

Well, what a few days it’s been! Friday was total bananas! We had to cancel/reschedule appointments, etc. and generally spent the day running around like ants preparing to be gone for who knows how long? I finally got down to trying to get flights and the %|{£€¥# scum bag airlines want 3-4 times their normal fares for a last minute flight. I finally got so pissed off, I told all of them to KMA, then told Lynn to go gas up the little car we bought to tow behind the motorhome. I’m going into truck driver mode. Screw the airlines!

Well, we’d be staying with Lynn’s mom who is in her late 80’s, so why risk catching something on the plane and bringing it to her? Then I heard that same day, 1500 flights were cancelled and people were stuck in airports all over the country, so driving was a no-brainer. We also didn’t have to worry about luggage weight limits, etc. We didn’t pull out of the driveway until Friday night! After a day of hectic running around like a chicken with its head cut off, I’d just drive as far as I could, pull into a rest area for a nap, then hit the road again.

Long story short (? ), I covered 2600 miles in 2-days. (I don’t let Lynn drive or it would have taken us 5-6 days!) We left Friday night and pulled into her mom’s driveway at 9:00 pm last night (Sunday).

I usually cruise at 10 mph over the limit. Passed a few smokies, but none of them paid a bit of attention to me, so all went well. We even stopped for a few nice sit-down dinners along the way. I will say, the speed limit in West Texas was nice. 80 means 90 to me!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Glad you were able to make it safely to be there with family in a timely fashion.

Best wishes for all.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    That’s good damn time. Glad you made it out there.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke