Thread: Tesla

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar

Tesla

#2 son bought a new one this spring, loves it.
    He's currently in Italy with the family and left the Tesla here because he's having some remodeling done on his garage.
    He texted #3 to run down to charge the battery as he didn't have time before they left on vacation.
    #3 drove it once before, but some stuff was still new to him. While it charged, he went grocery shopping and returned about 20 minutes later.
    Got home and texted his brother that all went well but was not sure how to lock the doors.
    #2 said he already locked it, noted he got an 80% charge and sent him a picture of the route he had
    taken to and from the store.
    Sort of scary what technology can do.
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

My oldest has driven a Prius for years and he says he’ll never go back to an all gas car.

I’ve been curious if what the car media folks are saying are true about Tesla starting to fall behind some of the others in quality. VW and BMW were mentioned to watch out for in the coupleof things I’ve seen.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    My wife’s next car will be either a hybrid or a plug-in hybrid. (There’s a real
    Nice tax credit for the plug-ins.) We’re not quite ready for a full electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    From a thermo standpoint a hybrid is almost always a good choice. Full electric? Depends on the local grid and the car but it can save CO2.... Sometimes a lot sometimes not much at all.

I'm not sure but they'll look back at the last couple months and conclude that changing to all electric fleet died in this time period. It was always an iffy proposition I guess.

Will

The successof EVs will depend on if anyone wants to buy them, not some altrusitic climate reasons. CNG has been a superior option for vehicle fuelfor a long time, but nobody wants to give up the bed space and manufacturers won’t design an affordable OEM cng tank. Because outside of fleets, hardly anybody wants to buy them.
    The City of Tulsa has been replacing diesel vehicles with cng since the 80s and almost all of the school buses are cng now. The cost of cng today is $1.83/gal. But cng stations are still few and far between and the OEM folks still haven’t made them affordable. Why? Because there isn’t muchof a market for them.
    The public doesn’t buy shit be ause it makes the planet better. They buy them because it makes their peckers hard. Alwayshas been, always will be.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

From a retail pov I guess. But there are a lot of things going on behind the scenes that really affect the final price. And the justification for those is entirely dependent on climate change.

The EPA, if you ask about any engine designer, is outlawing IC engines thru regulation. Nothing they have recently done or are proposing for the future will have much of any effect on human health. But they are really driving up the cost to make an engine legal.

And the ptb are intentionally trying to make petro more expensive. No, the democrats/Biden admin is not deliberately trying to wreck the US. But they did take steps to lower the supply. Add to that our handling of Russia? It just plain got away from them. They were told what might happen...

Add to that a gov restriction on IC engine r&d funds. And the redirecting of those funds and much more to batteries/storage research? And the tax breaks for buying electric.

It all adds up to making engines more expensive to own and operate. And they told us they were going to do it. Now? They should be realizing that every nation is going to take energy where they can get it. India and China have lots of coal and almost no petro. They're going electric long term. But by using coal there isn't any environmental positive.

Us? I think a mixed fleet is in our future. Using natural gas and coal to generate electricity. A minor plus for climate but it's what we have.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    The successof EVs will depend on if anyone wants to buy them, not some altrusitic climate reasons. CNG has been a superior option for vehicle fuelfor a long time, but nobody wants to give up the bed space and manufacturers won’t design an affordable OEM cng tank. Because outside of fleets, hardly anybody wants to buy them.
    The City of Tulsa has been replacing diesel vehicles with cng since the 80s and almost all of the school buses are cng now. The cost of cng today is $1.83/gal. But cng stations are still few and far between and the OEM folks still haven’t made them affordable. Why? Because there isn’t muchof a market for them.
    The public doesn’t buy shit be ause it makes the planet better. They buy them because it makes their peckers hard. Alwayshas been, always will be.
    BKB
    Several years ago a CNG fueling station was built on the lot of a local Pilot truck stop. It’s located right by the intersection of I-80/90 and I-69.

It was never open for a single day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Can you cite the change that the ptb made to affectgasoline or oil production? I hear this all the time but I seldom hear anyone cite a specific reason, other than the absurd ones like the XL Pipeline.
    The refineries taken out of production had nothing to do with the ‘ptb’.

And if it is so, how do you explain the RiSE in US oil production each year? It did drop during covid but that wasn’t on the current ‘ptb’s watch. Exports are up, imports are down, consumption is up, please tell me which part of this would indicate to you the effects that would cause the big rise in gasoline prices?

The answer is the world market drives the price of the gas we buy, not US production. An oil tanker runs aground, the price goes up, whetherit affects doodly squat or not.
    The price of oil will come down when the futures traders decide the party is over. Period.

BKB

12312733-220D-4FE9-898F-EB9EB14CAF63.jpg
    Viva Renaldo!

The biggest was the change to gov policies regarding financing of refineries and exploration. It hit them at a bad time. We were already losing refining capacity when the changes were made. And to be honest Wall St. has fostered a culture where it recovering on its own is doubtful.

And just to show how put of touch these guys are they are hitting producers with an increase to ethanol required in mixes. You get added cost/prices and a more fragile production process. Madness.

I could go on. They really have been busy.

What rules changed regarding financing of new refineries and exploration? I can find nothing. I do know that oil and gas companies are spending less on exploration ~$700 billion, and more on renewable energy ~$200 billion which shows mainly they know how to read the long term tea leaves for oil and gas. I do recognize that Bidens commitment to reduce emissions has had an impact on long term investments in exploration and refining capacity. But enough to impact the price of gas by 100%? C’mon. Get real.

And production of oil is still up year over year since covid. We’re still exporters more than importers. Folks claimed when we hot that milestone that we were ‘energy independent’. Now we’re still doing the same ratios (even higher actually) and somehow now we’re not.

Put aside the political adages and just look at the numbers. Nothing much physically has changed, and oil prices have skyrocked. Its market driven almost totally. Prices should be up some, but not to this extent. It’ll come down when futures buyers start exiting the market, and they will. When they can no longer make record profits, they will anyway.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

It was an executive order from his first week in office. Might be been his first day mof. I had to ask an oil engineer in one of my forums how it worked. It was one of those things labeled an "oil subsidy". Might have well been one. But bottom line is it made investors pony up more unguaranteed cash up front to get financing.

I'm not sure that chart says what you think it says. Most from that source are a bit obtuse. See where it says exports and imports are about the same? That's processed not crude. And I'd be willing to bet they've got an "oil equivalent" for our light stuff which sneaks in natural gas to the output. They've done that before.

Either way we've plateaued. As has a whole lot of the world. Demand keeps rising and supply is stuck at current levels. When you do something stupid like we did with Russia you end up having supply chains changing.... And refineries just can't change quickly to a different crude composition. So you get weird gluts and shortages and craziness.

In the end I still don't for a second believe that those in charge wanted to spike energy prices this far this quickly. But they did want to restrict supply a bit and increase costs. They told us point blank they would. But like a monkey with a loaded pistol, once they started pulling the trigger no one was safe.