Thread: WTF does this mean?

WTF does this mean?

Lynn is helping out with researching and making reservations for a large family gathering for lunch after the services for her deceased brother in a few weeks. She found one restaurant that looks like it might work, but while perusing their website, I stumbled upon this little jewel. WTF? (Is this just a California thing?)

“A 16% fee will be added to your bill. This is not a gratuity or tip. The Fee is revenue that is not segmented or designated in any way; it is taxed per state law and is used to fund all of our operations.”
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    it means you need to find a different restaurant
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Bullshit, is what that is. Just raise your damn prices…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

In all fairness, upon closer inspection of the website, it states they have a "no tipping" policy. Now I'm wondering if this is just a way to prevent waitresses from pocketing their tips and instead, running it through the system to spread the tips out to busboys, cooks, etc? I have no clue and have never seen anything like this, but if giving credit on the side of caution, that may be a more fair way of dealing with the tip issue. Of course, it also removes the option of not tipping or tipping less when poor service is received. I've been to many restaurants that automatically add a tip into the bill for larger parties (like 5-6 people or more) and we should have approximately 40 or so attending.

Who knows? I guess the wording just caught my eye and is something I've never seen before. It may not be as bad as it seems on the surface and possibly a good way to control the gratuities. I can see where it could be dispersed to all involved with the service, will prevent hiding tips as most waitresses share their tips with the bussers and also a good control to prevent tax evasion (by staff receiving tips) as well as unfairly being taxed for tips not received. I may be wrong, but I believe the IRS automatically figures a certain percentage on tax returns for filers such as waitresses. Then again, maybe they offer their wait staff higher salaries than the norm and run the this 16% "surcharge" through the books as income. Another point is, 16% seems to be reasonable as 18%-20% seems to be the going rate in most cases. Personally, I've always hated the system of tipping anyway and have always wished they'd simply raise the prices of the product and pay the wait staff more from the proceeds. When I first went to Asia, there was no such thing as tipping, but once the tourists started piling in, that all changed and now most of them stand there with their hands out after performing what should be normal service.

I dunno, if giving them the benefit of the doubt (and pure speculation on my part), maybe what looks like total b/s here is actually a better system than the industry norm. Ya' think?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    We visited France a couple of years ago and the price you saw on the menu included taxes and gratuity. (You might throw a couple of Euros down or round up for truly exceptional service.) Much better system IMO.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

We’ve traveled to places that have no tipping policies and I like that system better. That said, whenever we’ve done group stuff, knowing ahead of time what the gratuity will be for extra staff etc is good to know too.

I’m surprised Lynn didn’t school you on this stuff, her being the obvious brains of the operation.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I’m well aware of many establishments tipping policies regarding groups. We never contacted the restaurant, but were simply shopping for options for a group dinner. The 16% added to the bill was stated on their website, but clearly said it is NOT a tip or gratuity. That was the confusing part. I’ve traveled the world pretty extensively, I believe, and know what to expect in most countries ahead of time. This place is in Los Angeles! Of course, it may as well be a foreign country as far as I’m concerned. Personally, I Hate our system of tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Dinner View Post
    We visited France a couple of years ago and the price you saw on the menu included taxes and gratuity. (You might throw a couple of Euros down or round up for truly exceptional service.) Much better system IMO.

England is same.

The exception to the tipping rule is you should always tip your bartender and waitress. An American trdation.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!