Thread: Observation

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Observation

It's funny how life and our brains prepare us for transitions. We have our youngest moving out in 3 weeks to start his college journey at ASU. Six months ago Kathryn was beside herself and we couldn't hardly talk about being empty nesters. Over the last month something has switched. She gets mildly annoyed at all the boy things he does. Things like room is never picked up, leaving dirty dishes, or generally not picking up after himself. Mind you none of this is a dramatic change from where we've always been, but its almost like she is taking notice to be ok with the move. Now she says things like "only 3 weeks left". It will obviously be hard on the day because she's one of the most caring mothers I know, and constantly keeps track of the kids, what they're doing, and is very involved....but, she seems to really be shifting and prepared.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) jb's Avatar
    It happens with us all, we've been through it 3 times, first one was hard on the two that were still home, second one went a lot smoother as now we had two in college and they had things to talk about when home and during the summer.
    Third one was the baby, the other two were graduated and living on their own, this one made us empty nesters, four bedroom home, living room and family room, extra bathroom, empty chair at the table, 1/2 the laundry, two cars in the driveway.
    Wife and life changed, in the long run everything worked out for the better, now we have the first of our 8 grand kids heading out to college in a few weeks, son and his wife and their two other girls are going through the same thing we did, it's called "Life"
    The older I get, the better I was. I also forget my password and have to have Len reset it for me

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    JB - I'm actually embracing this change. I get a lot of pleasure out of seeing them both grow up and start to take steps on their own. It's not that I won't miss them, but its sure cool to see them start to succeed even if its just small steps. I am also looking forward to having some time back to travel, and do some of the stuff that naturally gets pushed to the side.

When our first headed off to college the change wasn't as big since we still had one at home, and she went close by at UW. I did take an ego hit on this one though. The sorority that Kenzi went to had a dad's day of tailgating an husky game. While we were there one of the kids said "what are all these old dudes doing here". ouch!