Thread: Now let me get this straight ….

Now let me get this straight ….

… this place has held together for 25 years, through thick and thin, yet all of a sudden stupid-ass political bullshit is ripping the place apart? I’ve always marveled at the intelligence displayed around this place, SO much more prevalent than the run-of-the-mill forums scattered about Al Gore’s Internet. There have been true, strong friendships formed here over the years, but imho, if one can let dumbass politics sever those bonds, maybe the intelligence level isn’t what I thought it was. I hope I’m proven wrong and some of you buttholes are simply having a bad day.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    This message is hidden because Thumper is on your ignore list.

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    This message is hidden because Thumper is on your ignore list.

If it wasn't for Thump's posts, there would be less activity here than is occurring in Pelosi's brain at any given moment.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Well I don't know if we've been hulled below the waterline or not. But it's a stormy sea all around us isn't it.

Thing is that the world is changing... and not in the favor of the US. That will continue imho. And as it does anger and chaos will be in surplus. Families and churches and friendships have been broken in the last few years. Many more will follow no doubt.

Be it COVID, our response to COVID, the economy, RoevWade, political graft and criminality, whatever... we're under pressure and for myself I have to learn that even if I believe something fervently, even if I am proven right, it doesn't mean that those around me want to hear it. I never did like those guys who just can't help themselves from saying "I told you so." Now I find myself biting my tongue to keep those dreaded words from coming out of my own big mouth.

I'm not a preacher or any other paragon of virtue in this respect. Ain't trying to be. But to be honest anger and harsh feelings are going to be easy to find from now on. I hope everyone here will give me the benefit of the doubt when I get out of line. And I will do the same. The days when you could discuss very disagreeable topics with friends who disagree profoundly but then shake hands when it's all said and done may be over. Sadly.

I'm a Mason, as was our old friend Cappy. One of the landmark rules in the charter (and there are only a handful) is that no discussion of religion or politics is to be had inside the lodge when a meeting is taking place. I always wondered how the old rebels from the Colonial times managed to do all of their insurrection from the lodge while obeying this rule. Anyway, Masons are to treat and think of other members as actual real life brothers. And if they cannot allow these types of discussions? Well it makes you wonder doesn't it?

Will

I think you're dead on there, William.

The life lesson we all have to learn now is that love is stronger. It's up to us to do it. If we don't, nothing good will happen. While I agree anger and vitriol are increasing, there is a spirituality that has awakened among many and is getting stronger by the day. Not a formal religious thing, but true spirituality. Access to something that has always been there and plays a much larger role in what happens on this marble than most people realize.

It's right there under everyone's nose. Plenty of ways to access and be part of it.
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    We’ve allowed ourselves to become a product of our society, full of anger and hatred, even on this board. I don’t have enough years left to deal with all the assholery around me. I found a refuge to rest my weary head and preserve what’s left of my sanity not to mention it keeps me from going to jail for killing some dumbass. The lowly Sac A Lait

C85954D6-D0BF-4A0D-9237-3F93BD3D1DC1.jpg

Hey, it works for me
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    We've lost our ability to be civil and accept others views even when we disagree with them. As a society we've decided, collectively, that aggressiveness and violence are the best way to get our way and justified it as the end justifies the means. When cities were being destroyed and violence was the norm I had a friend post "America was built on violence for change" that same friend was outraged by January 6th. My point is civility or aggression/violence will always go both ways, you can't justify it as a means to an end or eventually you'll be on the end you don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    We've lost our ability to be civil and accept others views even when we disagree with them. As a society we've decided, collectively, that aggressiveness and violence are the best way to get our way and justified it as the end justifies the means. When cities were being destroyed and violence was the norm I had a friend post "America was built on violence for change" that same friend was outraged by January 6th. My point is civility or aggression/violence will always go both ways, you can't justify it as a means to an end or eventually you'll be on the end you don't like.
    How 'bout you shut the fuck up?

You're right. We're being pulled by the nose ring by younger people raised with very different boundaries and consequences.

Now.. we get to live a whole 'nother set of consequences.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Chill pills all around please barkeep!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LJ3 View Post
    How 'bout you shut the fuck up?

You're right. We're being pulled by the nose ring by younger people raised with very different boundaries and consequences.

Now.. we get to live a whole 'nother set of consequences.

I don't know how ... Also a problem in this society!

Telling hombre to stfu is like hitting his FF button.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!