Thread: Cheap camping.

Cheap camping.

We’re on the way to Minnesota (with a 3-day stop in Iowa) and I’m only driving 300 miles/day. That way, we can take it easy, stop whenever and wherever we want and won’t feel rushed. I had driven about 320 miles when we pulled into a rest area for a quick pit stop. Heck, the place is practically empty and we were parked in a nice spot, so figured, what the heck? Why don’t we just stay here? Quiet spot, picnic table with running water (not that we need either) right in front of us and maybe a couple hundred feet from the restrooms. I put out the slide, turned on the generator, cranked up the a/c, then Lynn made an early dinner while I played on the laptop. (She confiscated it and is now watching cooking videos on YouTube) Getting ready to watch some tv or maybe pop a movie in the DVD player (we have a dumb tv). Time to kick back and relax with a cold one in our free camping spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Got the eBikes on the back and plan on racking up some miles on this trip. Will be on the road for 1-1/2 to 2 months, depending on how we feel.

Have fun, send us a postcard!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Livin the good life

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Safe travels.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    "On the Road with Thump and Lynn". Looking good! Hope you guys have a great time! Looking forward to reading your travel adventures so keep us up to speed. The Missus and I are still looking for that perfect motor home and hope to be able to travel the country next year. We'd like to do a Canada Coast to Coast (never been to Nfld) and with a big, old dog an rv is the only way. Good travels!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    That sure sounds like a great way to travel. I think I would fit right into that type of lifestyle pretty easy.

Cheap camping? I depreciated your RV over 10 years and 10 trips. So that camp spot ran you around $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
    Cheap camping? I depreciated your RV over 10 years and 10 trips. So that camp spot ran you around $1000.
    Is that all? I need to get a new calculator! It reminds me of the time I tried to figure out how much all the “free” venison in my freezer actually cost me!

We’re just zipping up the Interstate and grabbing spots on the fly as we head up north. Once we hook up with my brother, the actual, planned camping gets started. Here’s our spot in Tennessee for tonight. Not a bad view.

And I’m kicked back waiting to be fed while Lynn does the dirty work. (Hey! I do the driving!) I checked in with my brother tonight. They were in Nevada last night, just outside Salt Lake City tonight.

Man that looks like fun.

How many fishing poles did you take? Just wanting to know how to score your camping preparedness test.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha! I’d get a failing score! I actually REMOVED my fishing gear before leaving for this trip. Didn’t want to deal with fishing regs in 20 different states. Don’t think any fishing would get done anyway. Lynn’s turning it into a foodie tour. I think she has every meal mapped out, except for the one’s she’ll be preparing. She makes ME do the dang grilling though!

Do they arrest old people still for fishing without a license? Especially old vets?

What has the world come to?

You’re gonna wish you’s at least snuck in a snoopy pole before this trip is over. Especially when you hit lake country and there’s a good looking fishing spot every which way.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Keep the pics coming Thump. For us working stiffs its cool to live vicariously.

I dunno P-hole. In Florida, I get a pass on hunting and fishing. I still need licenses, but they are gratis. I’m just not sure how it works in the other 49 states for non-residents and even if free, obtaining so many licenses would be a pita.

Cheap camping.

Again, we’re simply “traveling” right now, with no plan, except for putting a few leisurely miles behind us. The daily drives are limited so we’re not at all rushed, just no pressing schedule other than arriving in Iowa by Sunday night. A piece of cake. Once my brother and I hook up, there will be no more Interstates and we’ll do nothing but more rural, river roads. But, back to our current route heading north, we have no planned stops and are just “boondocking” along the way. NO paid camping. Plenty of places if you want no amenities other than restrooms. We’re self-contained of course, but I don’t mind using public restrooms to avoid dealing with the black tank since I’m having a valve replaced at the factory in Iowa. (Pretty simple job really, but I’m too old and lazy to do it myself)

We have plenty of options to simply “spend the night”. Cabellas/Bass Pro offers free camping and most even have dump stations. Many like to stay at Wally Worlds, although some stores are getting persnickety due to “pig campers”, but generally, a word with a manager is all it takes to not be hassled. You also have access to restrooms and groceries, etc. 24/7 at the super stores. Cracker Barrels offer free camping and many even have rv sections (oversized spaces) marked off in their lots. Again, no facilities after-hours, but a nice breakfast would be available in the morning (not required). There are lots of options if you’re simply looking for a place to spend the night while traveling to or from a specific destination. One of our personal favorites is hospitals (preferably smaller towns) as they’re open 24/7 (restroom facilities), if you have a stroke at 3:00 am, you’re already right in front of the ER! (shhhhh, this is one of our self-discovered secrets, so don’t tell anybody).

Then, sometimes, rest areas are a good option and we’ve been having good luck on this trip with finding decent ones. We always go to an end spot and park so we have room to kick out our slide, plus the general stop-and-go travelers normally stop at the more “central” areas. Other than the one posted above, here and the Interstate rest areas we’ve stayed at so far this trip.

And here’s where we are tonight. (Just outside of St. Louis)

And a quick dinner. Big salad cooling in the fridge and simple kielbasa sammiches while I play on the laptop.

Now don’t get all judgmental, I poured that big ol’ glass of white wine for her!

The life of Riley!

Good stuff, Jimbo!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I’m surprised wine is enough for her putting up with you.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Spending the night in a VERY nice rest area in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. It poured rain the last couple hours of the drive today, but it’s a blessing in disguise … it washed all the dang bugs off the coach! Supposed to rain until after midnight (so no pics), but between the 57-degree outside temp and the rain on a “tin roof”, I should sleep like a baby. We’re only 178 miles from our destination (Winnebago factory), so tomorrow will be no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDog View Post
    I’m surprised wine is enough for her putting up with you.

Viva Renaldo!

Bof’a youse can bite me!

BTW, I had to fight a frigging headwind most of today. I guess it was pushing in ahead of the front that ushered in all the rain. Fuel mileage yesterday, 16.6 mpg …. today, 14.0 mpg. Ouch! That hurt.

People who drive Mercedes products don’t usually quibble about 2 mpg.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

Diesel is running $5/gal. up here in Yankeeland. That extra cash layout could be going toward the FOOD bill! Oh, and btw, that’s almost a THREE mpg difference.

I’m sitting here looking out the dinette window at the back of a new boat with THREE Honda 250 hp outboards. Wow! Wanna go do some trolling?

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Looks like a grand way to travel Jim and hope you are having fun.

As for your mileage, good think you aren't pulling a fifth-wheel or you would really be complaining.

I'd hate to have to carry enough food to keep Jimmy from getting hangry.

Poor Lynn,,, Poor poor Lynn
    If we all threw our problems in a pile, and you saw everyone else's problems-- you'd take yours back.