Thread: Ha! I KNEW I was skinny at one time!

Ha! I KNEW I was skinny at one time!

My buddy just sent me an old pic he dug up. This was so long ago, he was running a detail shop out of the garage of his house at the time. He’ll now be retiring in a few months, after 20+ years as the Service Manager of the local BMW dealership. We used to load up in his big ol’ motorhome and go to both Daytona races every year (Daytona 500 and the Firecracker … errr, Pepsi 400 … or whatever the “F” it’s called these days). I have my Goodwrench hat on and pulling for Dale Earnhardt (Sr) here!

Here we are with infield seats on top of the motor home … back when NASCAR was fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

That poor woman.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I know the feeling.... a lot of biscuits and gravy since I was skinny. :o

My father had that exact hat back in the day. I believe it is in my dresser in my old room at home. The old man was something of a collector of hats. Must be a couple hundred of them in the basement when he died. Green Bay Packers, Chevy Racing, Cat Diesel Power, you name it. I can even remember when I was a kid he used to put a couple in the little space under the back window of his car.... so he didn't have to deface his car with bumper stickers I assume. You guys remember people doing that?

Will

PS: That is a good picture.

We’re in the process of ‘decluttering’. My wife’s term. The subject of my hats came up. I’ve deflected for now but its not offthe table. Wish I had a basement.

There was a time of country dirt roads and cold beer that a Cat hat made a person pretty cool.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Yeah, I have a closet full of old hats. I don’t even know why I keep them as I really don’t wear ball caps. It’s impossible not to at a NASCAR race as it’s basically part of your “uniform”. I’d usually wear a cap of some sort while fishing, but that’s about it. Nowadays, if I wear anything on my head, it’s a boonie hat or an “old man” straw hat, just to hide from the sun. I zoomed in on that pic I posted and see it had been a while since I shaved. I forgot we always went over for Speed Week and usually got into the infield on Wednesday. In those days, once you were in the infield, you were “stuck” there until after the race on Sunday! I remember one year, we partied so much for the first 4-days/5-nights, my buddy and I actually slept (passed out?) through half the Daytona 500! Ha, it was DEFINITELY my younger days.

I also notice Lynn is wearing the engagement ring I gave her. She still has it after almost 38 years. I wonder if maybe we should get married one of these days? But then again, I’d hate to rush into anything.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain