Thread: Big changes in the Hombre household

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Big changes in the Hombre household

We've been planning for a couple of years to move out of Washington state. After 10 years it seems time for a move, and with both kids out the timing is right. A week ago we decided to put the house on the market and I'm happy to say it sold in two days.

I would say there's both a bit of regret and excitement. The house we sold was my favorite that I have ever lived in. The sunsets off the deck, looking down the golf course, and a view of the mountains all made it a special place. You can see some of the views here:

https://www.compass.com/listing/3513...2202759127961/

With that said we were pretty done with 8-9 months of rain, escalating taxes an in general just ready for a change. So, what's next? Over the next two weeks we'll pack up and move to Gilbert, AZ. A few highlights: We'll once again have a pool, the weather is better and we'll only. be 20 minutes from our youngest who's attending ASU.

Overall we're very happy with our move to Washington 10 years ago. It gave the kids some great experiences, and opened up some job opportunities for me. One of the biggest upside and downside was the fact we had no other family here. On a positive note we became much closer as an immediate family. You have to rely on each other, and holiday's such as Thanksgiving become a very special family event. On a downside we really miss our family and miss out on some key times, like younger family members firsts.

Wow. 10 years? It doesn’t seem possible. But I think the last time we saw Kenzi was when she came by our house to trick or treat and I think she must’ve been 12 or 13.

When you moving home?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

We are on the house hunt right now, but aren't in a hurry and are waiting for a house that check most of our requirements. Now when I say we I mean Kathryn. I've found several houses that I think are just fine, but she's a bit more picky than I am. And, when I say picky she says things like "I don't like the finishes in that house", I don't even know what that means.

You can expect though that in the meantime we'll be back quite a bit more. Its a much easier flight, and we're definitely missing our people and family.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Nice! Are you just going to work remotely? I’ve been considering a similar deal in the next couple of years. Not sure where other than I need a dock in my back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Yes - The plan is to go full-time remote, which I have been doing since Covid hit so it shouldn't be a big change. I actually like being in an office and meeting / collaborating with people but I decided to prioritize my happiness and family time. I am going to commit to make sure I make off-sites, and opportunities to travel to meet colleagues. Another positive of being an empty nester is at anytime Kathryn can pick up and go with me.

Cool beans. I hope all goes well and everything works out. I have four friends who have all moved to various places in Arizona over the past couple of years, but ALL of them were from California. My brother who is traveling with us now (Northern California) is considering buying a place in Arizona, but only as a Winter place. They don’t want to sell the California house. Years ago (when I lived in L. A.) I came VERY close to moving to Scottsdale. Had a job lined up and was ready to pull the trigger when my employer made me an offer I couldn’t refuse, to stay in L. A.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Ya this will be mostly a winter place for us. We will be full time in Ok. to be closer to friends and family.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    You'll love the AZ winters.

definitely something I'm looking forward too. A few years back we stayed there for Thanksgiving, and it sure was nice to swim over the holiday.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I hope you like your new digs Hombre. Be quite a change going from the rain forest like Pacific northwest to the deserts of Arizona. I know some people who make a trip there and just fall in love. My mother in law being one of them who just had to move there once she had seen it. Maybe you too will be what Lord Faisal termed "those desert loving British" in Lawrence of Arabia.

Will