Quote Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Interested in how those solar panels are working. I don't know much about solar panels. Do they charge a battery and then use an inverter?
They work great for what I use them for Hombre, but like anything else, it all depends on how much money you want to throw at it. Mine came stock with 200-watts of solar and I was planning on bumping it up to 370, but stuck with an “upgraded” 200 (two 100-watt panels) because Winnebago did it for free (long story). So I still have the same output, just better panels.

They do an excellent job of keeping my house batteries topped off (especially when parked at home, not being used). While camping with no hook-ups, they’ll run the low-draw stuff like lights, fridge and the basics like that, but ya’ ain’t gonna run a/c, tv, high-draw appliances (stove/heater/microwave, etc), at least not for long. I have instant hot water (no tank) that sips tiny amounts of propane (love it), so it’s not an issue. I can get away with heating up a cup of tea in the micro, but run much more than that through the inverter and you can see your battery reserve drop like a rock (I’m just running AGM batteries)

The hardcore boondockers get carried away with plastering every available square inch with high-output solar panels, big bucks controllers and bazillion $$ lithium battery packs. I’m not that serious and have better things to do with my money.

I also have many options on most things, but I have a residential style fridge that runs strictly off electric (battery, generator or shore power). None of the disadvantages of propane, but the disadvantage of needing electric if no hook-ups are available. I like it, no leveling issues (it’ll run upside down if you want it to) and I’m not having to fill with propane every week! I have a diesel generator that draws off the coach fuel tank and actually uses much less fuel than a propane unit.

I have a bazillion cooking options, outside grill (propane and/or charcoal), inside microwave oven, convection oven, propane stove and electric induction range. Add rice cooker, crock pot, etc. and the sky’s the limit. I have gas heat, ceramic heater and heat pump as well as a/c of course. Obviously, I don’t plan on relying on silly solar panels to stay comfortable or keep things convenient. I’m more of a “glamper”.

I know that’s a Thump answer to your question, but the solar is great for what I use it for, but not even close to adequate for the hardcore solar groupies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk