Thread: Finally!

Finally!

We visited the Red Wing shoe factory and finally found a retailer that carries my size! This shoe is leather and actually weighs over a ton (2300-lbs. if I remember correctly). Kind’a cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Yesterday we went to the SPAM Museum. I didn’t expect much, but it was extremely well done and we had a great time. VERY nice museum if you’re ever in the area. Actually, I never knew they had so many varieties of SPAM and they’d cook up a batch of whatever we requested to sample. My favorites were Hickory Smoked, Hot & Spicy (Tobasco) and Bacon. Extremely nice people and very accommodating. They even gave my brother and me each, a free can of SPAM with a hand written thank you note on the top (because we were veterans). Nice touch.

Then we went over to the Duluth Trading Company and found me some big boy pants.

All in all, we had a good time in what some would consider rather mundane places. Today we’re going to try our luck snagging tickets to the big bluegrass festival in town.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    I'm jealous of the Red Wing tour. Rode past there on a train last year and was wishing they could have stopped for a while so I could look around. I have worn Red Wings since I was a kid. Sadly they just recently discontinued the 2156 Chukka that I teach in, so I had them resole both of the pairs I own. I have to smile remembering when I started at CAT so many years ago. I detested dress shoes and have always considered most of them kind of girly. So I bought what they then called 'foremen's shoes'. They were just like their run of the mill work boots but cut down to regular shoe height. I bet a dozen of my coworkers at CAT bought a pair after saw them. Still own those old things and they still look great.

Did they show you around the assembly lines? I'd love to see a pair getting made.

Maybe they could be like Harley Davidson and let you walk down the assembly line and watch the motorcycle you ordered being put together.

Will

This was actually a museum/retail store in front of the actual factory. I asked about a factory tour and was informed they had to discontinue them because of some sort of problem with OSHA. But the museum was excellent and very informative. One interesting thing I found was that they send out thousands of free pairs of boots/shoes for real world evaluation. They look for unique or super rough working conditions, send you a free pair and after 6-months or so, you send them back so they can be evaluated for wear, etc. I immediately thought of Gary Carty (Archer) as he’s pretty rough on his boots! I also took a pic of the website to apply.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Such cool experiences, and on your own time schedule. On a positive side that shoe actually makes your head look small..