Thread: Deer season report

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Deer season report

I thought I might actually make a hunting post here.

Our firearms season opened Saturday morning. I hunt on a small private farm and have for years but it’s a small tract and there are hunters on the neighboring properties. My son, who is 12, is really getting excited about hunting and he goes with me.

The guy on the property to the north seems to be doing his best to mess up my hunting this year.

Saturday morning he shot a small buck which ran out into the field in front of the stand I was in. The buck went down and he came walking over. Not great but I understood. I was going to help him drag it onto his side of the tree line so he could dress it but he said he would just leave it so I could keep hunting. He said he had a buddy with him that was still hunting so he would have him help later. Great.

So we get back up in our stand and the guy goes back to his. Then just a few minutes later, I see him walking around along the fence row. Next, his buddy shows up and they both walk out to the field and look at the deer then walk away. Instead of going back onto their side of the fence row the walk all the way back to the front of the property IN MY FIELD.

Yesterday we were back at it. Shortly after daylight, the guy shoots. 3 doe run across the field from his direction. The field is cut soybeans so you can see all the way across it. I see the guy climb down and then he starts to walk back and forth all along his side of the fence line apparently looking for blood. Then his buddy comes up to him and they both walk back and forth. Must have done this for a good half hour. Unless there was a deer that I didn’t see that stayed on his side, it seemed pretty obvious the deer ran all the way across the field and into the woods on the opposite side (my side) of the field. My son looks at me and says, “Don’t get mad at me, but that guys a dick!”

I go back out this morning alone and saw that the guy was in his stand again.

About 7:30 I had a doe run out of the woods on my side and, sure enough, she was being followed by a buck.

Of course it happens when my son can’t be there.
    He dropped in the middle of the field so after the past couple days with my “neighbor” I decided that the buck was too big for my old out of shape self to drag out, so I drove my truck right through the field and parked where he dropped. Dressed him out there and loaded him up.

Hope I didn’t mess the other guy up too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DeputyDog; 11-17-2022 at 10:29 PM.
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."