Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foosball?

The argument, the real vocal 17 year old fan one, is that the objective of the ‘playoffs’ is to have the best 4/8/12/(with tongue in cheek)64 teams in a competition to see who’s best. Because champions are always the best teams in the nation, right?

So my bet is they’ll all be ‘at large’. At least as long as there is a committee they will be.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Big arguments for sure... big money, big disagreements.

Hell I'd be happy if they just went back to allowing defensive backs to treat receivers as blockers till the ball is in the air.

And go back to the strike and release blocking rules for pass blocking. That would be a good one.

Oh, and QBs are just running backs with better posture. Treat them that way God's sake.

Will

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I’d be fine with 8. The champions of the Power 5 all go. (How those conferences determine a champion is up to them and any team that can’t win their championship can STFU.). The next 3 are at large but any FBS school that is undefeated automatically get a bid. If there’s slots leftover, it can be a beauty contest. However, no school gets in that didn’t even play for their conference championship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Riddle me this Batman: In a expanded playoff scenario is it fair to set up a system where non P5 conference champs get routinely overlooked for P5 runners up? It’ll happen in the name of picking the best teams. I think you have to restructure to 8 or 12 or however many conferences and select only conference champs. No at large. Thus no independents either. FYI, right now there are ten conferences and 131 FBS schools so its not impossible. This will never be adopted because the P5 has a death grip right now on the playoff and that’s big money and power.

BKB

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Here’s another question. What is the point of the other bowl games outside of the ones that are part of the playoff? I’m asking primarily because Purdue is playing in the Citrus Bowl on Jan. 2 which is a fairly high profile bowl game and the biggest bowl game for them in years yet their starting QB and top 2 receivers are “opting out”. I know that this is becoming more and more common.

So I guess my question is, why play the games if even the players don’t care about them?

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Coaches love it because they get ten free practices to better evaluate remaining talent and prepare for raiding the transfer portal or so I’m told by the Razorback apologist.

Btw, I heard some coaches are trying to poach Mississippi state before Mike leach is in the ground yet. One reporter called them out and said he’ll expose them if he gets proof. I don’t believe it because I’ve never seen a reporter that let facts get in the way of a story
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I’m hoping MSU steals Jeff Lebby from OU. He’s a Sooner and I hope he does well, but I wasn’t impressed with either his ‘schemes’ or play calling this past year. We lost a lot when Riley left, but the loss of Gundy was devastating to the offense IMO. Even given that handicap and grading him on a curve, there were times the calls made no rhyme or reason. And there were fourth quarters our defense needed rest and we’d go fast on O and put them right back out there. Maybe he needs another year in the saddle. A MSU one.

BkB
    Viva Renaldo!

They can take his brother inlaw Kendal Briles too. Talk about some head scratching calls...he killed more Arkansas drives than SEC defenses this year
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I thought the loss of Gundy was an overreaction especially for someone who the players supported, and who's past has shown a high standard. He apologized and should have been given a second chance imo especially if players supported it and it wouldn't have caused a bad environment.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    On a positive note, Drew Brees will be stepping in as an assistant coach for the bowl game.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

That’s pretty cool!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    .... Even given that handicap and grading him on a curve, there were times the calls made no rhyme or reason. And there were fourth quarters our defense needed rest and we’d go fast on O and put them right back out there.

BkB
    Too much Madden NFL.

I'm serious. It's not just individual coordinators, it is rampant in college sports. OCs that have no feel for the game. The actual game. They treat football like a video game with no regard to momentum or physical stamina. Everything is like it's 1st and 10 in the opening drive. And with the rules changes over the years you can get by with it.

And to be honest, putting together a really good pass team is much easier than putting together a team that is really good at rushing. Even moreso both rushing and passing the ball. But a good rushing team that has great defensive backs? You'll lose to them most of the time. See Georgia vs Alabama or Michigan vs Ohio State.

Alabama is a case study or what happens when you scrap the power game and go full tilt air raid. Even with the best recruits in the nation. Once you give it away you are faced with a massive rebuild to go back. Completely different offensive line recruiting. And QB recruiting... etc, etc. Ohio State shows you what the absolute lid is with a predominantly pass first offense. They have the best QBs and receivers every season. And have since Day took over. And they look like they can run the ball. Like they ought to run the ball. But they can't.

Not when it counts. Georgia will most likely mop the floor with them again in a few weeks.

Alabama/Saban showed you what the lid was for a power run team... right up until a few years ago. And they showed us what the price is for trying to just out recruit for pass game athletes. Doing it the easy way. But coaches have a short shelf life and go the quick easy route.

Now I have to watch Wisconsin turn into Indiana. Or maybe not. Maybe I won't watch it.

Will

Truth spoken there.
    When we’ve had our best defenses is when we’ve had the best lbs and safeties. Vulnerables (Venables)is trying to get us back to that. The games we lost this year is when our two starting safeties were out with injury. As receivers and Te’s have gotten huge, fast and big dbs and safeties have gotten harder to come by, especially with any depth. The big guys on the line are fun to watch buts that second and third level where the money is.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Seems like the a-holes calling the Liberty Bowls want to marry KU they’re so enamoured.
    All their love and Kansas is still gonna get boatraced.
    Geeze.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Mullen was a piss poor coach, he's even worse as an announcer. I'm watching it on mute
    Albert Einstein

After what they did to the Razorbacks in the ‘71 Liberty Bowl it makes me ashamed they even agreed to go there again.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, that Liberty Bowl was interesting. Where’d they get those refs? A phantom fumble, an almost total lack of holding enforcement, a non-existent targeting call. Geeze frigging louise.
    I wouldn’t go play football in Memphis again for all the tea in Gyna.
    At least they won. Think they learned any lessons about finishing? I sure hope so. All that BS could have been avoided.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Sam is too busy promoting his aw shucks image to put his foot on anybody's throat. But, Arkansas is a career killer so that's about the best we're gonna do, maybe we should join the Sunbelt or better yet the SWAC
    Albert Einstein

You guys have #1 coming back, and a really deep running back room so they should continue improving next year. Be nice to see them play some D, like SEC teams a supposeta.

bKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Giving up 600+ yards to Kansas gives us plenty of room to work with. Plus Briles is coming beck…. He killed more drives that all the defenses we played against.
    Albert Einstein