Thread: Nicknames

Nicknames

I honestly don't think this has ever been discussed here. Have you ever had a nickname? I think nicknames might have been more popular back in the day maybe than they are now. \Kind of like a guy you called Chip was more than likely a Charles. Now he's more than likely just a Chip.

I hated my nickname in high school. Summer of 9th grade I got sick with a fever and they ran all kinds of tests on me. Finally, the nailed it down to Undulant Fever, which you can get from drinking raw milk from cows with Bangs disease. About half our small herd of cows banged out and our farm was prohibited from having cattle on it for a year. We had to sell off about 25 cows. Was a pretty significant part of the family income too. They gave me tetracyclene, which reffed up my teeth, but it cured it. Until I went back to school anyways, and my Ag teacher labelled me with the nickname of Banger. To this day, I see people in my hometown they're as likely to say 'hey Banger' as anything else. Unless it s 'Hey asshole'.

Larke pretty much exclusively called me Posthole, from here, or Posty. To this day I don't think he knew how to spell or pronounce my last name.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Had a few. Little Whiskey and Reggie

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Hondo. In a hoops pickup game I nailed about ten straight from the wing and one fella said who is that guy, John Havlicek? Hence the name Hondo stuck even tho my jump shot range is limited to about eight feet and in now
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I've never had a nickname that stuck. I'm okay with that. Granted, I get called Big Sky by you guys, but that's not really the same as nickname in my non-cyber life.

The wimmins always called me Stud.

I never really had a nickname tbh. Well, until 1979. I was racing motorcycles in those years and when Honda introduced the XL185 in ‘79, they were trying to break into the off-road (dual sport) racing scene. I ended up with a Honda sponsorship as well as a Sudco International sponsorship.

http://www.sudco.com/

I ran enduros and the 2-strokes dominated the circuit. The XL was a 4-stroke, so I was an automatic underdog. But, I did really well and have a garage full of trophy’s to this day. Everyone started calling me Thumper from about the first race I ran. (I took 1st place right out of the box!)

This is the definition from the Internet glossary of motorcycle terms:

“Thumper — A single-cylinder, four-stroke motorcycle engine.”

All of my old racing buddies still call me Thumper. It’s not only where my moniker here comes from, but also where my email address originated (Thumper + my birth year)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    The wimmins always called me Stud. )
    Are you sure it wasn’t “dud”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I think a big ol’ Bite Me is in order here!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I was given a nickname at birth as I’m technically the III. Story is my old man took one look at me and said we’re calling him something other than Bill or William which is his name. I’ve had several others at different points in life that have never fully taken hold like, Trip/Tres, Crank, Tank.

Oddly enough, I’ve been miscalled Hal (alliteration issue) by some through my entire life to the point I’ll answer to it and don’t mind it. As my Dad still says, “You can call me anything you want. Just don’t call me late for supper.”

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Funny thing CD, it was kind of the opposite for me. My parents had my name picked out before I was born and I was to be named Michael Allen. Supposedly, when I was born, EVERYONE who saw me said I looked exactly like my dad. He was already a Jr, and I ended up being a III.

Now that you mention it, I guess I did have an early nickname after all. I was sometimes called Ed. Whenever I’d pull a bone-headed move as a kid, my dad would say something like, “Way to go Ed”. After the first time, I asked him why he called me Ed. He said, “As in STOOP-ED”!

Daryl
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Big Skyz's Avatar
    I'm pretty sure the definition of Thumper is: Thumper is a fictional rabbit character from Disney's animated film Bambi (1942). He is known and named for his habit of thumping his left hind foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Skyz View Post
    I'm pretty sure the definition of Thumper is: Thumper is a fictional rabbit character from Disney's animated film Bambi (1942). He is known and named for his habit of thumping his left hind foot.
    Please refer to post #7 above.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Where to begin???

At one time I started writing them down just to try to get a tally and seem to recall I was somewhere north of a dozen. I guess with a last name like mine it is probably to be expected. Needless to say, I answer to just about anything.

Given I shared a first name with my paternal grandfather (which is the middle name of my maternal grandfather) the first nickname I recall having is Little John.

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Then Thumps paternal grandfather must have been named Richard
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

I thought it was Johnson. He told me that’s why Lynn calls him Little Johnson.

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Don’t we already have an LJ around here?

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Why yes, yes we do.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

All o’youse yahoos have the same nickname …. Dufebutt!

Heck, I forgot all about Little Jimmy. That was like my REAL name when I was young. I was the Third, but my grandfather was called Pop, my dad was Big Jim and I was Little Jimmy.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    My pop called me Buckshot or Buck. Said I was wild as a buck deer.

In high school I was called Skynyrd. Listened to them all the time.

In college I was called 6. From my football practice jersey number, which I chose because of Dr. J.

Like some of you I don't have one anymore. I feel a bit inadequate because of it.

Will

Well heck, you just reminded me of another one Willie. Anyone who knew me in college, called me by my nickname, “Foot”. Just before starting school, I had an ingrown toenail that got infected. In fact, it put me in the hospital. When I started my freshman year of college, I was on crutches and my foot was wrapped in bandages. People who didn’t know me, referred to me as “the guy with the foot”. People who did know me, picked up on it and it became my “official” nickname. My old college friends still call me ‘Foot’.

In fact, on our last big motorhome trip, we stopped to visit my old h/s buddy and college roommate (and his wife). He calls me “Foot” to this day.

Note: By time the first quarter had passed, many of the wimmins also started calling me Foot, but for a whole ‘nuther reason!

'Melon' would have been more appropriate.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Melon balls?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

You seem to have an interesting game of pocket pool going on with yours in that pic.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    I would assume that by the time the first quarter had passed it would have switched back to Little Jimmy. :-)

Man, youse dufes are gonna have some tired, achy jaws once you get all the biting out of the way.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    Foot.... that's a good one.

Nicknames used to be SO cool. Giving them was an artform. Read about some of those old baseball teams and the nicknames alone put a smile on your face.

Will

Don’t forget nicknames for cars/trucks and guns, etc.

Reminds me of when P-hole had a “Big White Johnson”.

I've named every truck I've ever owned, and some but not all of the cars. A family tradition probably. My old '64 Pontiac was named Pancho. It came with that name from the aunt I bought it from. There was a truck I drove in high school named John. My grandpa's old 51 GMC was named Judy. Big Whitey was my '68 GMC pickup truck. Black Betty was my first new pickup, a '90 Chevy. The Blue Goose, my 2001 Chevy Silverado. And in honor of my grandpa, I call my current Yota Tundra Judy.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And come to think of it, I didn't even cover boat names over the years!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!