Thread: Well, that was kind of a bummer.

Well, that was kind of a bummer.

First of all, I know there’s NOBODY here who is even remotely interested in Hollywood or Hollywood types and I’ll guarantdamntee’ya, nobody here (including myself) would ever consider watching the Oscars.

BUT …. I kind’a sort’a had to watch last night. When Lynn’s brother passed away unexpectedly in June, we immediately headed straight to L. A. to be with her family. We were also waiting for Lynn’s SIL to get there as she had to fly in from Spain where she was working on a movie set (she’s a Hollywood costume designer). During the dinner after the funeral, I sat next to her and discussed the previous film she worked on. The name? “Everything Everywhere All at Once”. Ooookaaay, whatever, but after talking with her, it sounded fairly interesting.

Alright, spring forward a few months, and it appears the movie is a hit. We received news recently that they had been nominated for TEN Oscars and Shirley was nominated for “Best Costume Design”! Again, so what? But this is family and a HUGE accomplishment.

So, we watched last night. It’s pretty impressive that the film ended up with TEN Oscar nominations and won seven! Unfortunately, Shirley lost out to Avatar. We really felt bad for her. I mean, out of 10 nominations, there were only 3 “losers”, but … just winning the nomination itself is quite an accomplishment. We’re so sorry Shirley. Maybe next time. You’re still a winner in our eyes.

She wore two different dresses at the Oscars. Both by Carhartt ….. errrr, I mean Rodarte.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s pretty cool

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Cool beans and something she should be very proud of.

Yep! Just received this in our email. The “Best Picture” Oscar. You go girl!

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    That’s cool stuff!

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Not to take anything away from Shirley's accomplishment, but I am now convinced the combined intelligence of all of Hollywood wouldn't match that of a watermelon. I sure hope none of the family somehow stumbles upon this post, but if so, I apologize in advance. I just watched the movie. It was 2 hours and 20 minutes of pure torture and I regret that it's 2 hours and 20 minutes of my life that I'll never get back. This "movie" has rave reviews, was nominated for 10 Oscars and won 7 of them, but I am totally clueless .... well, I'll just end it with that. Shirley and the rest of the crew are busy running all over the country doing the talk show circuit right now and I have to congratulate them on their success, but I just plain don't get it.

Let's just say, I experienced 2 hrs. and 20 mins. of pure torture tonight and I really don't even fully understand what I just witnessed. Hollyweird is the most fitting term I can relate to right now.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I haven’t seen the movie and am not a huge movie guy. I do know from direct knowledge of the process through prior work experience that who wins has a lot more to do with behind the scenes lobbying and money spent by the studios on PR and advertising campaigns than which movie was “the best”.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

That's the kicker CD. This movie went up against blockbuster budgeted movies like Top Gun, Elvis, All's Quiet on the Western Front, Avatar, etc. THIS movie was a very low budget movie full of Asian-Americans. I don't think they had the budget to do a lot of lobbying. I've read the reviews and maybe I'm just dense, but it got rave reviews. Heck, I read the subject theme of the movie before I watched it, so I had a bit of a head start, but I just plain old didn't get it and at the end, all I could think was, "WTF did I just watch?". Maybe I'm just a dumbass, I dunno.

The upshot of this whole thread for me was Thumper saying ‘You go, girl’.

I have a whole new perspective on Thump now.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Ha ha! And you sir, can bite me!

At any rate, I'm proud and happy for her (and the whole crew). I just don't get Hollywood. (maybe that's a good thing)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    I tried to watch this movie some time back and gave up half (?) way through. Love the actors but the movie was crap.

Quote Originally Posted by johnboy View Post
    I tried to watch this movie some time back and gave up half (?) way through. Love the actors but the movie was crap.
    When I hit the halfway point, I told Lynn I couldn't believe I'd made it that far. If not for the family connection, I wouldn't have made it to that point, much less finished it. Oh well, I guess lots of people loved it ... it just wasn't "me" I guess. There's also the possibility it was just "over my head" and I couldn't really appreciate what it was all about.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    In this case, it may have something to do with Hollywood virtue signaling against some of the anti-Asian sentiment that flared up due to CV. That’s my cynical view of the process at least.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) airbud7's Avatar
    If Rotten Tomatoes gives it a good review you can bet it sucks...

If Rotten Tomatoes gives it a bad review it is probably a good/awesome movie...