Thread: Pi day

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Pi day

Let's see my favorite is Buttermilk, chocolate, banana creme, pumpkin, apple, blueberry, pecan, sweet potato, key lime, cherry, lemon icebox, peach, coconut creme, strawberry, chicken pot, beef pot pie, pork pie, butterscotch pie, Natchitoches Meat Pie, shepherd pie, Empanadas, Pierogi, Knish, baruchs, and virtually any type of tart, popup, or pastry either sweet or savory. You can toss in donuts, honeybuns, cobblers, cheesecakes, and puddings.

Did I miss any? I'm a man of wide and varied tastes
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    The team is celebrating by brining in pies for a social event but sadly I have another obligation so will miss all the goodies which really sucks.

Hope you get some samples to try out today qa.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I like the way your roll QA. While I like them all, strawberry rhubarb, chess and chicken pot pie would be my top 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

It’s apparent we don’t have any math geniuses here.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

I didn’t say chess pie because most people call it buttermilk pie. Just like they call a white perch a crappie.

Weird isn’t it?
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Huckleberry pie is stillmy all time favorite. With homemade ice cream.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar

Pi day

My favorite is sugar cream pie followed closely by warm pecan (pee con)pie with vanilla ice cream.

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Well. if we're gonna talk pies here, my all-time favorite is a recipe of my grandmother's that was carried on by my mom and now my sister. In fact, EVERY time I go to Houston, my sister has one waiting for me.

It's a lemon icebox pie (not to be confused with a lemon meringue pie) . I know there are other recipes out there, but I honestly don't know how they compare. The main positive IMO is the crust. Most are made with a graham cracker crust, but Granny's pie is made with crushed vanilla wafers and butter. It's the best pie I've ever had in my lifetime and I sincerely doubt anything out there will be able to beat it before I leave this earth.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    I celebrated with chicken out pie for dinner and apple pie alà mode for desert.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

thump celebrated by having sex with Rosy Palms 3.14 times
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by quercus alba View Post
    thump celebrated by having sex with Rosy Palms 3.14 times
    And that's only if you shorten my number of "sessions" down to just three digits.

Ok, I have an unsolicited product endorsement to make (which is rare for me since Lynn is a gourmet cook). I love a good chicken pot pie, but they're hard to find. In L.A. there was a Marie Callender's close to work and I hit the place once a week or so for lunch. One of my favorites was their Chicken Pot Pie, but I haven't been to a Marie Callender's in probably 35-40 years, so things may have changed. I have bought their commercial Chicken Pot Pies from the grocery store and either the store version is different, or they just weren't as good as I remember them.

We had a very good Chicken Pot Pie at Cracker Barrel ONCE, but at three or four different Cracker Barrels, they were nothing to get excited about. We often eat at Cracker Barrel on the road with the camper because they have camper parking (even overnight camping) in their lots. One would assume, as a chain, they'd be consistent, but we've found that not to be the case. The Chicken Pot Pie got a thumbs down every place but the first one we tried (in Destin, Florida). We no longer order the pie at Cracker Barrel.

Now, here's the endorsement. While in L.A. over the Christmas holidays, we wanted something quick for dinner. We happened to be at Sam's Club and Lynn picked up a very large and heavy chicken pot pie. They're made fresh daily, in the store. It was a pretty big gamble because we'd never tried them before and they were huge (maybe 10"? 12"?) and extremely heavy (about 5-lbs). They're actually sold by the pound and of the pies available, seemed to run between $19-$21 each. I'd have been pissed if they sucked, but Sam's has a very generous return/refund policy, so we took the plunge. It was the best danged Chicken Pot Pie I've ever had! Packed with WHITE chicken meat. Not cut up chunks, but shredded, whole muscle (like pulled pork?), very tasty gravy and a great crust. I know tastes vary, but don't fill mine with celery, carrots, peas, corn and whatever else you find lying around the kitchen. This one had (baby, like Le Sueur Early) peas, which is the only green pea I like. The odd thing is, the website also lists carrots in the ingredients, but neither Lynn nor I remember carrots. Either way, it's larrupin!

Ok, score one for Sam's Club, but after the Cracker Barrel fiasco, we weren't convinced. We later purchased one at our local Sam's Club here and it was exactly the same as what we'd experienced in California. We've now had two here ... extremely consistent, even though they are made daily in the store. If you like Chicken Pot Pie, you can take it from this self-proclaimed CPP connoisseur, this pie would be very hard to beat. As a side note, we have Costco AND Sam's Clubs in Tampa and Orlando, but only two Sam's Clubs here in town, so I have no idea if Costco has anything equivalent.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-m...b./prod8900191

I make a trek to Sams to buy paper products every few months. When I go I can never make it past the strudel aisle without pickingup a box of apple and a cherry. Goodstuffcomes out of that bakery.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Favourite would be strawberry/rhubarb. Sweet berries and tart rhubarb just make a great combo.

I really like ruhbarb pies, but my wife looks at me like a brahma bull at a white faced calf when I make a move to get one.

We both have enormous sweet tooths.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!