Yeppers, it also has a LOT to do with the line itself. Lynn used to sell the food orders for the cruise lines. Some buy absolute garbage, others buy quality. It's like anything else, you "generally" get what you pay for. The other consideration as to which line to take is their target audience. I wouldn't be caught dead on a Carnival cruise for example. It's caters to the younger, party animal crowd. They buy the crappiest food of anybody because what does a teenager on spring break who's drunk on his ass and puking in the pool care about fine dining? Royal Caribbean is very similar, but slightly toned down compared to Carnival. You've got the lines that attract young families, but I do NOT want to try relaxing around a pool overflowing with 1200 screaming, water-splashing kids. Cruises take a bit of research and/or experience to find what suits you. I could see where taking the wrong cruise line that doesn't fit your lifestyle or expectations could turn one off to cruising.

Ha! Back to my example: For grins, I just Googled Carnival and this is the first thing that popped up. It's nice wording used to say stay away if you're not a 20 something party animal.

Carnival is known for cultivating a highly energetic atmosphere onboard - people often refer to these cruise ships as the party ships!

I'm not picking on Carnival, it has it's place. I'm simply using it as an example. Some people who have never cruised, may fall for the extensive advertising Carnival does. Many people may think a cruise ship is a cruise ship and simply shop price. Some don't know to check the history of the ship. Is it 20 years old and had it's only update and refurb in 2007? Is it an old tub with no stabilizers that will make you seasick just sitting in the port? A cruise line is not a cruise line, Do your research or find what you like and stick with it. TBH, my number one favorite thing to do is sit out on the veranda on sea days and just watch the ocean go by ... for hours ... until it's time to eat anyway! I've even slept on the balcony before as the sounds of the ocean are calming to me, like rain on a tin roof. Oh, BTW, if you're an old curmudgeon like P-hole, you never have to leave your cabin if you don't want to. Room service is included with your fare ... just pick up the phone and order your lunch so you don't have to face those animals at the buffet.