Thread: A SERIOUS post for all to read

A SERIOUS post for all to read

It's coming up on "that time of year" and I need to get this out there. We've had a long ... and occasionally "rocky" history here at GoodHunting. People have come and gone through the years. Some I REALLY miss, others, not so much, but we're still family and even in the best families, brothers and sisters have disagreements. The difference is, if you have a disagreement with your brother, he doesn't normally move out of the house and never speak to you again. Here, evidently, some find it easy to simply move on, never to be heard from again. Getting new members is just a pipedream. I'm not sure of the reason and there could be many. One might be the "good ol' boy" feeling here and newbies may feel intimidated by simply dropping in to what appears to be a very tight-knit family. I think another possible problem could be the vetting process. I'm not 100% positive, but I believe, in order to be allowed in, the registration request has to be sent to the administrator for approval. I may be wrong, but I believe those requests all go to The Lenster .... some fucknut who barely speaks to us anymore hisownmiserableself.

With all the Russian spammers, etc. who try to gain access, I believe ol' Ticboy just got in the habit of denying ALL member requests. Maybe I can't blame him as vetting elebenty-bazillion membership requests daily, would be a bit time consuming. ALL of this is purely speculation on my part ... or it could be that nobody in their right minds would want to hang out with us crusty old farts anydamnway. Then there's the natural attrition and we've lost many members who will NEVER be back. I miss them all and often wonder how many old friends we've lost here because they have passed on and we have no way of knowing?

The point is, our site renewal is coming up in a few months. Back when we had plenty of members, the fund raisers were easy-peasy, in fact, sometimes I thought TOO easy. Back in the day, there was no accountability here regarding expenses and when we were at our prime, I can't help but think "somebody" may have been making a profit off this place. We started out with Orion and he set things up as site building was part of his business. Nobody knew what the actual income or expenses actually were and I never liked that. I won't go down through the history of our financing, but I swore the books would be totally open to anyone who wants to see them as long as I'm handling the finances. I used to post a detailed ledger every year, but tbh, I just got too lazy to fool with it, but I can (and will) if anybody asks. Every penny is logged and accounted for in a file on my desk.

But, I'm rambling and turning this into a Thump Post. I don't have the book in front of me, but I believe our site renewal is coming up in early July, but it HAS to be paid before the end date or the plug gets pulled by Go-Daddy and everything here disappears off into cyberspace somehow. I often wish we had some way to go through the posts on the original site, it would be a hoot, but they're lost forever I suppose. The question is, this site is all but dead due to attrition, but there are still at least 2-3 posts/year, so it's barely breathing and on life-support. Do we go on?

The expenses run about $200/year for the basics (no virus/hacker protection, etc). I think last year's renewal was just under that at $190-$200 (?). Everything else has gone up, but I have no clue if Go-Daddy's prices have followed suit. As of 7/3/2022 (after our last renewal), I have $91.52 in the official GoodHunting bank account. What'chu bozos suggest we do here? Keep this place afloat for another year and see what happens? Or pull the plug and lose everything? If we let the joint go down the tubes, I ain't giving the money back, I'll buy 1/8 tank of diesel fuel for my motorhome with it! Ha! Seriously, I just figured I'd put out a heads-up to see how you buttheads feel about our future here and what you suggest we do about it.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Seriously?

Let me know when you need it and I think I still have you in paypal.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, I need to make an addition to the above info. I assumed ALL payments were due at the same time, but evidently, we added website security the last time we got hacked and it threw the renewal date off. Our security coverage expired 12 days ago. My bad. That adds another $89.40 to the mix. I can renew that now, but it will pretty much wipe out our bank account completely. On the other hand, why renew it if we drop the site? From your response, it sounds like you're voting to make it a keeper (totally expected). I can renew the security coverage now which may be smart as we paid Niner and somebody else (Len? Nandy maybe?) a couple hunnert bucks to get us back on-line last time we crashed and burned. If I renew that coverage now, we're dead broke and will need a fundraiser completed by the end of June (I believe the renewal date is 7/03). Maybe I'll sacrifice my 1/8 tank of diesel and go ahead and renew the security coverage to be safe. If we crash, I have no clue who will get us back on-line as we have no techies left here that I'm aware of.

Well, Jesus, Joseph, and Mary!

Sent.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I just got off the phone with Go-Daddy and it seems the expiration notice they sent on the security thing was premature, we have until the 25th, so I'll go ahead and renew it. I wondered how it could expire since I'm set up for automatic payment on my credit card, but my old card expired and I just updated the payment info. Again, the hosting, etc, isn't due until 7/3.

Edit: Thanks P-hole, it arrived, so now I'm up to enough for a 1/4 tank of diesel ... keep those donations rolling in! Seriously, I'm renewing the security coverage today and we'll work on the balance needed for July as everyone starts checking in here.

Ok, that's out of the way. I found out why the security coverage was a bit of surprise to me. The plan is a 5-year plan, so it would have been something Cappy added and is the first renewal since I took over. Anyway, that's done for now and means we HAVE to at least keep this place up and running for another 5 years to get our money's worth!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    What are our options for getting the funds to you? PayPal? Venmo? Check? Cash in hand? Some other new fangled mechanism?

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    I know that not many frequent here as once did but we're all getting older and sometimes memories fade. I don't want Captain or Tony or Conine or Fido to become a faceless name of vague recollections. Here they're preserved in perpetuity as long as these doors are open and I for one want to keep it that way even if I have to foot the bill by myself. This place has been and still is a source of camaraderie to me. After all, we are an island of misfits.

Speaking of which, Kribbs you might want to put together a list of instructions and need to know stuff to pass along in the case of your untimely demise at the hand of an enraged Lynn or a clowder of starving cats
    Last edited by quercus alba; 03-22-2023 at 12:46 PM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Q/A, when Cappy passed unexpectedly, it was a total nightmare getting this place switched over to my name. It took a frigging act of Congress to get anything accomplished. Passwords, etc, were only known by him. Once I found a workaround, I still couldn’t do anything without his credit card info. The card had been cancelled and destroyed by his wife. It literally took months to convince Go-Daddy to make the adjustments. Due to all that B/S, I sent all log-in info to P-hole, including enough credit card info to get Go-Daddy to talk to him. If he croaks before me (and we’re still up and running), I’ll pass it on to the next “Chosen One”.

Bwana, I generally use PayPal because I’m very familiar with it. I think somebody used Venmo (?) once, but I can’t even remember what it entailed. A mailed check works too (I can text or email my address). Anything other than USPS or PayPal, I’d have to figure out, but I have no problem with it.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Let me know the best way to chip in and I will get it headed your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    A curious coincidence Thump? You're talking about security coverage and I get an email about confirmation for an order for "Online Safety Net" that was done this am. Would that be you? Email to me by mistake or just another phishing scam?

Deppity, PayPal is the easiest for me, but I'm flexible if you want to try something else. Just let me know.

Johnboy, I'd have to say a weird coincidence. It was done directly through Go-Daddy, so it's doubtful there's any connection.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    K. I'm ultra cautious about this stuff. We are constantly receiving phone, text and email scams. Gotta stay on your toes. Tx. I'll send you something by snail mail.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    Happy to help here. I think last time I sent through FB Messenger, that still work?

Ha! Hombre, I don’t know if you’re joking or not. Is that like faxing it to me?

Seriously, if that’s a viable option, I know nothing about it. (But I can learn)

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    As quiet as this place is, I’m not ready to permit go. Please share your PayPal either here or through a DM. (Seems fitting that out 90’s era bulletin board would be using PayPal…)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

Ha! Yeah, eBay was my thing for many years and they owned PayPal which was about all that was ever used on that platform. I think all you need is my email address. Thumper1952@verizon.net

If not, let me know.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Chicken Dinner's Avatar
    Shit, it’s been so long my PayPal account is deactivated. If you can’t do Venmo or Zelle, I can send you a check (or is it cheque?) just DM your snail mail address.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Raoul Duke

CD, I think I have Zelle .. in fact, if so, I've used it once ... most likely for YOUR donation last time we had a fund drive. How do you know if I'm set up? Does it show through your contacts list? Obviously, I don't remember how it works. I do Chase Bank if that helps.

Will you take a postdated two-party check?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Heck, I'll even take IOU's! (well, maybe not from any'o youse shady dudes)