Thread: Sports stuff

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master

Sports stuff

I'm not a huge fan of baseball and I'm certainly not a purist or traditionalist. Sports at every level are in a constant state of flux and in light of that are there any changes you'd like to see in baseball either college of pro?

I have found (particularly in college) that the home plate umpire is wildly inconsistent calling balls and strikes. I personally would like to have all balls and strikes called by computer. Unless of course they're willing to do away with instant replay in all sports and put every aspect of the game back totally in the officials hands maybe with the exception of the clock.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Baseball and softball fan here. I’ma traditionalist in that humans and all of their greatness and assholedness are a part of baseball. So the human element of hitters having to adjust to an ump’s strike zone is part of the gamethat makes it agreat game.
    I think replays have lengthened games and taken a lot of heat off of umpires to make correct calls without a safety net. I’d reduce what plays can be challengedto only a few.

And on that note, RIP Don Denkinger. Denk made the worse call in MLB history and cost my Cards a World Series. There was no replay then so it stood.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    If an ump is consistent with his strike zone whether it be big or small I agree but most umps especially in college won't call the same on two identical pitches. The year that the Marlins won it, the ump was giving the Marlin pitcher six inches off the plate on the outside corner but the Indian pitcher had to throw it belt high right over the middle of the plate to get a call. It seems in most games the ump has two different strike zones.

As far as women softball goes it's just a waste of air space they could use to show some classic college football. Of course you could say the same about hockey, the NBA, Nascar, and all womens sports.

excuse me, I meant non binary sports
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    I agree with the idea that as long as the ump is consistent with his strike zone, it’s not a bad thing. It’s just one more challenge of the game for the hitters to have to adjust to whatever strike zone the ump is calling that day.

Speaking of women’s softball, I was at a conference this past week in South Bend, and the Clemson women’s softball team was staying in the same hotel as we were.

And Barry, the worst call in the history of baseball was Jim Joyce, calling a guy safe at first base and ruining a perfect game on the final out in the ninth-inning for Armando Galarraga

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

What year was that? I remember it vaguely but the most I remember about it was the ump had the cojones to apologize to the pitcher very shorty after.

Both prolly received some nasty death threats. Baseball fans are some nasty mofos.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

And speaking of sports figures, Doyle Brunson passed away. RIP and ‘all in’!
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    That was in 2010. Yes, Joyce did apologize and said that he screwed up right after the game. They both handled it really well. The Tigers had Galarraga take out the line-up card to Joyce the next day and they both teared up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

I just looked it up and MLB started video review in 2008. I wonder why that call wasn’t challenged. Of course they may have already used their challenge in that game.
    Video review is a two edged sword, but it has stopped some really bad calls from happening. I’m just amazed at how many tough calls they
    get right.
    BKBp
    Viva Renaldo!