The wayward tire at Indy this year reminded me of a post I made here years ago. I just did a site search and found it ... dated 3/12/2015. For some odd reason, the Indy tire reminded me of a Sebring race I attended as a kid and how badly things "could" have gone.

In the original post, I rambled on about estate sales and it morphed into my childhood memory at the track (I was 14 when this happened). I included a link to the article I was referring to, but I'll print it out here.

On the Warehouse straight, Andretti re-passed Wester and pulled away from the Porsche. All of a sudden, while he was changing gears down from 4th to 3rd for the slow Webster turns at 140 mph, a part on the Ferrari's gearbox broke, and the car went from 4th to 1st, the rear wheels locked up and the Ferrari spun wildly out of control. While the hapless Andretti was spinning, Wester saw an opportunity to pass Andretti without incident. But Wester's plan failed appallingly- while under braking for the Webster turns, the Ferrari was still going very quickly, and it then hit the back of Wester's Porsche. The Porsche spun out of control, went off the track, and it then went plowing into a group of spectators standing in an area where no one from the general public was allowed to be, and finally crashed hard into a warehouse, destroying the car. 4 spectators were killed in this tragedy- 46-year-old Willis Edenfield, Sr. and his two sons, 20-year-old Willis Jr. and 9-year-old Mark were killed instantly, and 38-year-old Patricia Heacock died of her injuries hours later. Wester was knocked unconscious, but he survived with minor injuries; and this horrific incident was not known to the public until the day after.

The following old G/H post concerns the 9-yr. old Mark Edenfield. Note: During Covid, I cleaned my out office and decided the item needed to go. It had been hanging in the same spot since the following photo was taken years ago.

http://www.goodhunting.info/showthre...hlight=sebring