Thread: Fishing trip report

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Trav's Avatar

Fishing trip report

Great day on the water, my personal best hybrid 8#’s and a cooler full of fish. Started out targeting hybrids & white bass then went after some crappie then switched back to hybrids.

image000000.jpg
    IMG_7202.jpg
    IMG_2655.jpg
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

James Burg, An Enquiry into, Public Errors, Defects and Abuses 1775

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    A "report" generally has more than 2 sentences...looks fun

Those are some rod benders!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Fishing trip report

Wow! Nice mess o’fish! Anywhere I’ve ever fished for those things, they were referred to as Stripers and I’ve caught a shitload of ‘em. I know they are hybrids, just never heard them referred to as hybrids. Is that what they’re called locally? A regional thing? Just curious.

I’ve never caught one even close to that monster.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Here in Oklahoma we have Stripers and we have Hybrids, this particular lake doesn’t have pure Stripers to my knowledge.
    “ No kingdom can be secured otherwise than by arming the people. The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave”

Barry,

I was using my 1500 Shimano CI 4+ & a 6ft lightweight rod, talk about fun. It took almost 5 minutes to land the biggest one.

Quote Originally Posted by Trav View Post
    Barry,

I was using my 1500 Shimano CI 4+ & a 6ft lightweight rod, talk about fun. It took almost 5 minutes to land the biggest one.
    Oh hell yeah, that’s the most fun of all. Jean got me to using ultralights in Canada on those big wallies. I love it when you can see the reel stem flexing when you’re fighting those big fish. How many times did they get you to the backing?

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Well, Google just educated me. I thought all Stripers were hybrids. I didn’t know there’s a difference between Stripers and hybrids. Heck, I don’t know what all I used to catch, I just called all of them “Stripers”. We don’t have a lot of them locally. Not a lot of flowing water in flat Florida. I don’t fish much anyway, so what do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

IMG_2123.jpg

You have your white bass, your striped bass, and your white bass/striper hybrids. White bass, or sandies as they’re called here, are fresh water fish. Stripers are salt water species that adapt well to fresh (they swim up stream in fresh water to spawn) water and have been stocked in way way too many places. Out east, stripers are called rockfish and they get big. The state record striper in Arkansas right now is 64 pounds. they eat their weight i baitfish every day. Imagine the impact on a reservoir’s native species. Hybrids were developedstrictly as a sport fish. They get big too.
    All are fun to catch and fish for. Us Okies all grew up fishing the ‘sandy run’ around Easter. As for table fare, that’s a matter of opinion. They’re too fishy for my taste. Sandbass are pretty good if you get them in the oil while they’re almost still flopping. I’ve never found a way to keep or cook hybrids and stripers that suits me.
    I have a delicate palette. Or is it pallete?
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Barry, I generally agree with you when it comes to table fare but I have found with Hybrids, Sandies & Stripers if you pull the blood line out, clean up all the red meat and soak them in saltwater for 24 before you freeze them they are really good tasting.

Thanks for the education P-hole. Now that you mention it, I realize the Stripers I caught were in either California, Nevada or Utah … ALL in reservoirs. I was told they were stocked and sterile. That fits your description, just a “sport fish” I guess. I never tried eating mine, just caught them for fun. If fish TASTES like fish, I’m not a fan. It has to be a mild white fish usually although I’ll do salmon sushi in a heartbeat. Prefer tuna, but will do most any fresh sushi. If it’s not sushi, it’s gotta be fried. Give me a truckload if Walleye and I’ll do a job on it!

I’d almost put a grilled ahi steak up therewith a ribeye.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Admittedly, I have a few exceptions. Like your ahi, I’m the same with a nice swordfish steak.

I love me a good swordfish steak on the grill too.
    BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Bwana's Avatar
    Looks like a blast Trav!