Thread: Oh, ok … NOW it’s clear … (as mud!)

Oh, ok … NOW it’s clear … (as mud!)

We’ll, I received a letter from the IRS this weekend. Before I opened it, I assumed it would be a letter explaining how some mistake was made on Lynn’s taxes and I need to arrange re-payment to return the funds to them.

Nope, it was a confirmation that I’d be receiving the “return” in 4-6 weeks (if I haven’t received it yet).

Ok, I don’t understand the “new math”, so maybe that’s my problem. Lynn hasn’t worked in over 3 years. We’ve paid ZERO in taxes and have received ZERO in return … until THIS year.

I assume you can enlarge the photos, but if not, it goes something like this:

(Re; error on your 2022 Firm 1040

Annual income:
    My calculations, $0.00
    IRS calculations, $0.00

Income tax withheld, $0.00
    Estimated tax payments, $0.00
    Credits, $11,974
    Other payments received, $0.00

Next page:
    Payments you made, $11,974
    Interest we owe you, $108.41
    Refund, $12,072.41

I still have no clue where this money came from. NOW can anybody tell me anything? (Lynn hasn’t worked since March 2020.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    My uneducated guess is you paid $0.00 in taxes and owed $0.00, however, you had some type of credit (house interest, dependent credits, etc).

Ps you're the hardest person to give money to.

Well, I just spent the past 1-1/2 hours on the phone with the IRS and what it all boiled down to is, it's a "premium tax credit". I still don't know what that is, but I will be Googling it later. All I know is, I've been paying an extra $200/month for Lynn's cancer insurance coverage (basically a supplemental to her "Obama Care"). But, even if they gave me 100% of what I paid (actually, $193.17/mo), it still doesn't come out to $12,000! I'm through digging, Yeah, when the IRS sends ME money, I get suspicious. I don't want to spend it, then receive a letter two years from now that they did an audit, found a mistake and I owe them $12,000! Been there, done that (unwittingly) back in '89 with capital gains on the sale of my house in California. I don't want to EVER go there again.

I think I'll start looking at a few cruises. I have money burning a hole in my pocket right now. When I leave this earth, I want my bank account to be as close to zero as possible!

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    When I leave this earth, I want my bank account to be as close to zero as possible!
    I'd have been dead and gone long ago if I took that position
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein