Thread: Scratch another one off my bucket list.

Scratch another one off my bucket list.

After much soul searching and back & forth conversations, we've decided to sell the motorhome and move on to bigger and better things. I've always wanted one, but never had one, so with flights, cruises and hotels shut down during Covid, it seemed like a no brainer. Now that travel has opened up, it's time to check it off my bucket list and move it over to the "been there, done that" column. I'll miss it in a lot of ways, in others I won't. We REALLY enjoy cruising, but with motorhome payments, it pretty much cramps our style. Why pay to travel if the motorhome is sitting in the driveway depreciating? If you're not using it, you're throwing money into a bottomless pit. I don't even think I'm going to go through the hassle of advertising or showing it to all the looky-loo's, etc ... I'll prolly just sell it to a dealer and take a loss, like any other motorized vehicle you've only had for a bit over 2 years. We had fun and that's all that matters at this point in my life. So, I'm assuming by this time next week, it'll go into the memories bracket.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Grand High Exalted Taser-Master
    When you calculate the price of a motor home, insurance, low gas mileage high fuel costs and constant maintenance that will pay for a lot of comfortable hotel rooms and nice restaurants over the next 20 or 25 years of your life
    Last edited by quercus alba; 06-22-2023 at 07:10 PM.
    "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"
    Albert Einstein

Ha! I’d be happy just to know I’d have another 20-25 years left!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    I could have written this post. I think we had our motorhome for about 3 years when we sold it. Anytime I took it out I loved it, and I would get reattached, but they do sit a lot. I do agree with what QA said above about hotel rooms but I also think there's something special about traveling in a MH. The ability to change where you're going last minute, pull over anywhere, have it be your space, and take a lot with you sets the travel apart. The biggest reason I got rid of mine was the worry of wear and tear overtime. Every time we got a freeze or high winds I worried about it.

I know exactly what you mean Hombre. We had a great time, but there’s an added stress factor that, at my age, I just don’t need. I can come up with a thousand pluses, but the 50 negatives just cause more stress (or physical work) I just don’t feel like dealing with. I want my vacations as stress free as possible. Maintenance on these beasts seems to be a full time job. Not what I signed up for.

If the used rv market is anything like the used car market you might not be losing as much as you think.
    Hopefully anyway!

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I was able to sell mine for a few thousand more than I payed

Scratch another one off my bucket list.

The trick was to buy pre-Covid and sell during Covid. When travel shut down, everybody and everybody’s brother bought a camper/motorhome as a workaround. Prices went through the roof as the old supply and demand thing kicked in. I bought when prices were up in the ozone layer. Now that travel has opened up, the market is tanking since those who bought during Covid are now moving on and dumping their campers, flooding the market and lowering resale. Story of my life.

Like the used car market during the new car chip shortage. If you had an extra car sitting around, you could dump your hoopty for close to what you paid for it new. I did that with my Tacoma. I paid $31K for it in 2015, then sold it for $30K in 2021.

Not all doom and gloom, we had a blast during the run, but I’m ready to move on. Cruise ships are cruising and we love being aboard one!

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Having owned numerous rv's over the years, I totally agree with what you said. Like something I heard once about boats - the best days were the day you bought it and the day you sold it.

I was going to say the same exact thing Johnboy. I’ve had probably 15 boats in my lifetime, from a 12’ jon boat with 9.9 kicker, to a 27’ cuddy cabin with a 350 Chevy marine and Volvo in & out. I was excited when I bought each one of them, but just as excited when I sold them. Although I live on a large, spring fed lake with a private dock and concrete boat ramp, I haven’t had a boat in probably 20 years. I don’t miss it a bit.

I guess I’m just old, fat and lazy these days. I don’t want to deal with anything I have to take care of.

Your last sentence says it all. Me too.

Well, the buyer showed up this morning with a check in his hand and drove off about 30-mins. ago. We FedEx’d the pay-off directly to the bank and I have a measly 4K left over to put toward a new roof.

I’ll miss the old girl in a lot of ways, in others I won’t. It was a good run, but it was time to move on and let somebody else make some memories.

So what's next on The List?

It was a nice looking rig