Thread: Oceangate

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar

Oceangate

Am I the only one who saw the Xbox type controller that "drove" the sub and thought who in their right mind would take a 13000' dive in that thing?

I’ve been scratching my head through this whole ordeal. Yeah, the game controller was a major red flag and a wtf moment. Now I understand there were no regulatory obligations to meet. How the hell can someone essentially build a submarine in their backyard, then charge passengers a quarter mil each to take a ride? None of this makes sense to me. I have a feeling heads are gonna roll and I foresee some major controls in the future for “businesses” like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness" - Mark Twain

Those adventure types are wound a bit different than the rest of us. Watch the movie about the guys who rescued the young soccer team in Thailand and you’ll get an idea of their level of what we’d call nuts.

BKB
    Viva Renaldo!

I just don’t understand the lack of regulation. From what I can tell, a dang Uber driver has to jump through more hoops to legally carry passengers than this “company” did.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Hombre's Avatar
    "adventure types are wound a bit different than the rest of us." Just a nice way of saying they make stupid decisions..

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I just don’t understand the lack of regulation. From what I can tell, a dang Uber driver has to jump through more hoops to legally carry passengers than this “company” did.

The US and its regulations have no jurisdiction in the North Atlantic. I thought you were always bitching about too many regulations.

These peoplewere adults and knew the risks. You want to put regulations on scaling Everest too?

BKb
    Viva Renaldo!

You talkin’ to me boy? I’m not sure I’ve ever complained much about regulations, so you may be confusing me with some other registered Republican.

All I’m saying is, most ANY vehicle that is used to transport paying customers is deemed a commercial vehicle and is highly regulated … usually for safety and insurance requirements. If some hobbyist wants to build a flying saucer in his mom’s basement so he and his buddy can jump off a mountaintop expecting it to fly, so be it. But we’re talking apples & oranges here.

You bring up a good point. I’m not sure what regs would apply in international waters, but with the business located and operating out of the U. S., I’d just assume there are a few hurdles to jump over, especially with what amounts to an “experimental” craft like this. I don’t know, it’s just hard to fathom the fact there seems to have been zero oversight.

I understand the owner was a tad on the shady … (over zealous?) side with his advertising. He claimed the craft was designed and built with the help of both NASA and Boeing. Both companies immediately issued statements they had no part in the unit’s design or manufacture.

Anyway, it’ll be interesting to see what happens after the dust settles.

Well, I just read this during my morning constitutional and it pretty much covers many of the questions I have. Lots of interesting thoughts here. No telling how this thing will go.

https://www.aol.com/news/tourist-sub...040843073.html

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) DeputyDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryBobPosthole View Post
    The US and its regulations have no jurisdiction in the North Atlantic. I thought you were always bitching about too many regulations.

These peoplewere adults and knew the risks. You want to put regulations on scaling Everest too?

BKb
    One regulation for Everest should be to carry out what you carry in. Have you seen the photos of all the trash/used oxygen bottles that has been just left in the side of the mountain?

"Never try to fight an Old Dude. If you win, there's no glory; if you lose, your reputation is shot."

Well, the meme generators are already at work ….

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Seems that your Navy knew the sub had imploded last Sunday but decided not to tell the hundreds (thousands?) of people searching for it. Running out of air? Yeah, that's it.

I'm not sure how correct that is Johnboy. The way I understood it was they detected the noise, but had no way to determine if it was the actual ship imploding, so the "rescue" mission continued. I suppose it would have been much worse to ASSUME the anomaly came from the Titan and cancelled the urgency of the search not knowing for sure if the crew was still alive.

The Navy detected "an anomaly consistent with an implosion or explosion" in acoustic data taken from the same area where the Titan went missing, a senior Navy official told NPR in a written statement.

A second official confirmed to NPR that it had registered that acoustic data on Sunday.

"While not definitive, this information was immediately shared with the Incident Commander to assist with the ongoing search and rescue mission," the first official said. "The decision was made to continue our mission as a search and rescue and make every effort to save the lives on board."

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) Penguin's Avatar
    https://consciousnessofsheep.co.uk/2...-our-insanity/

This guy expresses some of my thoughts on the matter. He runs a great blog that is UK centered and he believes that his country is headed for 3rd world status. Quickly.

For what it's worth I agree with him.

The Titan debacle shows a lethal weakness of our system. To fix that problem would require major surgery.

Will

Interesting link Willy. I have a feeling we’ll be inundated with Monday morning quarterbacking and “I told you so” articles for a while. It’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out. It’s an industry in its infancy, that has turned into an international can of worms, overnight.

Senior Member (too much time on their hands) johnboy's Avatar
    Good write-up P. When I first saw that 'sub' I thought "made in someones garage". I couldn't imagine diving a mill pond in that thing.